How to keep from locking fob in car?

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
My friend who just got an ST has already noticed it's easy to lock the key fob in the car (he tried while he had the spare in hand).
Is there any trick any of you have found to keeping from locking it in (he doesn't wear it on his keyring, too many keys).

Thanks,

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Wait, I'm confused.

Is this the smart key? Why does he take it out of his pocket? If he approaches the car and grabs the handle the car will unlock.

mavisky

Established Member
How do I keep the water in this cup? Everytime I turn it upside down all the damned water comes out.

Tell your friend to keep the key in his damned pocket or reduce the number of keys he carries. Even in all the work I do I only "NEED" a maximum of maybe 5 keys per day on me. The rest are at home waiting for me for those occasions that I need them.

I use one of these and every car gets it's own ring and then the others are for other uses.

61551_KeyBak_5_ring_spider_keychain_close_600.jpg

I currently keep my ignition key on one of them so the fob and everything else stays in my pocket and I don't have to listen to the keys jingle or feel them rub on my knee while I drive.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I don't know why he takes it out of his pocket...I'll ask.
He was saying there's a holder in the console near the ignition for it. Maybe he was told at the dealer to put it in there? I haven't looked in his car yet.

Zemedici

Established Member
How do I keep the water in this cup? Everytime I turn it upside down all the damned water comes out.

Bahahahahahah get em Mav.

Keep the key in his pocket. There's no such thing as a 'key holder' in the instrument console.

Or tell him how much a replacemental key costs ($250). Maybe that'll motivate him to keep the thing in his pocket :D

mavisky

Established Member
I don't know why he takes it out of his pocket...I'll ask.
He was saying there's a holder in the console near the ignition for it. Maybe he was told at the dealer to put it in there? I haven't looked in his car yet.

That sounds like something a retarded salesman would say. I would not be surprised.

snakecharmer

Established Member
if you only carry one key, you can't lock the key in the car. if you try, the horn will honk twice.

I'm betting you can if you have it back in the hatch, as the proximity detection on those fobs is pretty narrow. On a Corvette, for example, a woman that keeps her fob in her handbag can easily get locked out if she throws or drops the purse in the hatch and then shuts it.

Nuked

Established Member
Keep it in your pocket. There is really no need to remove it at all. This is my first car with a "smart key" and I love the feature.

SQ

wheelhopper

Established Member
I locked mine in my Fiesta ST not to long ago. Came out from the gym, where I had it hanging on a key rack behind the gym counter, and when I came out got in the car and tossed it in the cup holder. Decided I needed to stop by the grocery store to pick up milk or something and when I parked the car I hit the lock button on the dash, it is not on the door like the focus, then stepped out. After about 10 steps I realized left the fob in the car. I went back to the car and tried to get in. I could see the damn fob sitting in the cup holder but the damn door or hatch would not open. Luckily I was close to home and had the spare delivered. Better believe I make sure I have it on me now.

Users who are viewing this thread