How to lose weight?

tvspower

Established Member
My 08 is quick and fast... I have been racing against lighter cars and am at a disadvantage... Other than suspension changes what 5 major changes have people done to lose weight on the 07-09's... 800hp Mainly a street car and weekend track 2x month. Thanks

Last edited:

reeve_ryan

Established Member
Sale it and start with a different platform. These cars are heavy and you will spend a lot of money to save, shit. You can always just add more power though.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I've posted this up in a couple places previously, but here is my basic weight reduction setup with notes below. All weights were measured with a calibrated Befour scale.

2007 GT500 DRAG STRIP WEIGHT REDUCTION

Permanent Weight Reduction!
OEM rear axle dampeners............................-9.3 lbs
J&M Extreme LCA's (2)................................-5.2 lbs (OEM = 6.5 lbs each, J&M Extreme = 3.9 lbs each)
JLT CAI.....................................................-1.9 lbs (OEM = 6.1 lbs, JLT CAI = 4.2 lbs)
DSS aluminum driveshaft.............................-20.3 lbs (OEM 2-piece = 39.3 lbs, DSS aluminum = 19.1 lbs)
Magnaflow high flow catted X pipe................-11.1 lbs (OEM H = 32.1 lbs, Magnaflow Catted X = 21.0 lbs)
Magnaflow axle back...................................-3.0 lbs (OEM = 16.5 lbs each, Magnaflow = 15 lbs each)
OEM 08' harmonic balancer..........................-11.4 lbs (07' Balancer = 21.3 lbs, 08' balancer = 9.9 lbs)
BMR radiator support brace..........................-7.7 lbs (OEM = 17.0 lbs, BMR = 9.3 lbs)
Total....................................................-69.9lbs

Track Only Weight Reduction!

Race Stars 15 x 10" w/ MT ET Drags.............-34.4lbs
Race Stars 17 x 4.5" w/ M&H 28" skinnies.....-42.2 lbs
Front sway bar with brackets.......................-16.3 lbs
Strut Tower Brace w. spacers.......................-3.8 lbs
Spare tire kit.............................................-6.2 lb
Trunk Pad.................................................-6.6 lbs
Rear seat bottom......................................-12.7 lbs
Rear seat back..........................................-12.3 lbs
Front passenger seat.................................-48.3 lbs
Stereo subwoofer (in trunk).........................-35.8 lbs
Stereo amp (in trunk).................................-17.0 lbs
Gasoline (8 gallons @ 6.2 lbs per)................-49.6 lbs
Windshield washer tank..............................-8.5 lbs
Odyssey lightweight battery........................17.6 lbs (OEM = 33.0 lbs, Odyssey =15.4 lbs)
Total....................................................-312.1 lbs

Additional Weight Added

Roush UCA................................................+.5 lbs
Intercooler coolant (larger tank)...................+4.1 lbs
BMR Driveshaft safety loop..........................+6.9 lbs
Total.....................................................+11.5 lbs

2007 GT500 Curb Weight.............................=3,920 lbs (w/ full tank gas)..
Total Weight Reduction/Additions.................-370.5 lbs
Driver Weight............................................+255 lbs
Race Weight...........................................=3,804.5 lbs

Notes:
- Race Stars are HEAVY! My 03' front skinny setup consisted of 15" Bogart D-10's w/ MT ET Fronts and weighed 23.2 lbs each. The 17" Racestars w/ M&H 28's weigh in at a whopping 34.9 lbs! A better/lighter front skinny setup could save more weight here in the critical area (the front!). The rear Racesar setup is not as big a difference with a 41.9 lb weight compared to the 03' Cobra Bogart D10 w/ Hoosier setup of 36.4 lbs.
- Although the rear seats are very modest reductions, they are super easy to remove. Two hand operated clips for the bottom section, and two bolts for the back section. Passenger seat is the standard 4 bolts. Reduction of 73.3 lbs for the group.
- The BMR radiator support brace provides significant reduction in an optimal location: the extreme front of the car. Especially when you remove the front sway bar.
- Ditto for the windshield wiper fluid. Located in the passenger side bumper in front of the tire. Easy to remove the fluid, easy to put it back in.
- Fluid weights: Coolant = 8.2 lbs per gallon, gasoline = 6.2 lbs per gallon.

Last edited:

tvspower

Established Member
pic5.jpgThanks to everyone. I just read all the threads and, WOW.... There are a lot of weight savings..but..the cost for a street car is too high.... I have done brakes, exhaust, wheels, trunk, rear seat, Bmr suspension (rear) had a 1pc alu d/s but set it back, could not remove vib, and some other smaller removals.... Me, I am down to 225lbs from 240..... Maybe I should stop running no weight turbo driven acuras and subras and evo's. Besides a friend reduced weight in his 10 gt500 mainly from the front seat back and FOUND he had less traction.. Someone weighed his 08 gt500 and the balance was 57% front and 43% rear.....OH well my 3900lb car with me in it 225lbs is still quick and fast,,,just not light weighted...... Thanks for all advice.

Users who are viewing this thread