How to make a catch can

-venom-

Established Member
Well I had all the lines,fittings plus filter and I finally found a nice stainless steel canister. I tried using a sport bottle but the walls were too thin and soap dispenser from BBB was very thick. Here are the results.

IMG_7021.jpg

IMG_7022.jpg

IMG_7023.jpg

IMG_7028.jpg

IMG_7029.jpg

IMG_7030.jpg

stang2004

Established Member
hahaha, very nice. But you can buy one for about 25 dollars and dont have to try and make stuff work.

But nice job being handy.

-venom-

Established Member
Yeap you can buy one but the quality may not be that good. This is Bed Bath and Beyond quality lol.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Looks good! Don't know why you bothered with the SS braided line though and it is kinda small. 1/2" plain ol' black hose is where it's at, lol.

Also I just noticed that it looks like you're running Magnafuel full return? Do you have all Magnafuel stuff, how do you find it?

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
OP how much did this all cost? also what did you use to make the breather work on the top of the can? also Which breather part number did you use? Thanks i need to do this:beer:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
nice! where on the 03 cobra would it come out of? i know on the driver side it would come out the back like you posted, but the otherside would be used for the ram air intake i have.

-venom-

Established Member
Looks good! Don't know why you bothered with the SS braided line though and it is kinda small. 1/2" plain ol' black hose is where it's at, lol.

Also I just noticed that it looks like you're running Magnafuel full return? Do you have all Magnafuel stuff, how do you find it?

The current hose diameter is 3/8" and its been just fine. After driving around for 1hr there was a light film of oil in canister like a drop or 2. I used that dia since I had it already. The line looks smaller due to the fuel lines being so big.

The magnafuel stuff was installed by the shop that did the fuel system.

You should mass produce these!

Theres a lot of mass produced ones out there and you cant compete with the price. I like stuff that is original and no one has out there. Its like when the GT500 came out, it was rare and exciting to see but now they are common.

OP how much did this all cost? also what did you use to make the breather work on the top of the can? also Which breather part number did you use? Thanks i need to do this:beer:

The can was 17.99 but if you get the 20% off coupon its 14.99 :dancenana:.The filter is a K&N 1.5 in filter which is too big and thats why I used another hose inside the K&N filter to cut down diameter. This filter was used on my previous stock procharger bypass valve. I upgraded to a race valve and had the filter left over but a 1 1/4 in dia filter is correct size. Go to the K&N site search for filters 1 1/4 then go to Autozone and ordered it using K&N Part number as they have free shipping.

You may spend $50 in total depending on how fancy you want to get with lines and fittings. I spent $15 total since I had everything else minus the bottle.

nice! where on the 03 cobra would it come out of? i know on the driver side it would come out the back like you posted, but the otherside would be used for the ram air intake i have.

The catch can setup is like runing an open breather setup. You dont route the gases back to your intake. Not sure if that answers your question.

In summary the cannister looks very nice and fits well with my setup. My car is obviously not a DD so I did not have a need for a larger catch can. If I need to check the level of oil inside the canister I just unscrew the top with filter still attached and look inside of it. I may drill and install a drain in order to empty oil without having to remove the lines. In general anyone can make their own to meet their needs. I wanted everyone to see that you can make your own. Just start looking for a thick walled nice looking can to start with. You can find any size filter by going to the k&N site to match the opening of the can. You can also buy an ebay one or a moroso can but if you frequent car shows you will know its originality that makes you stand out but it also helps out that your ride is fast too lol.

Last edited:

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
that looks alot better than mine, but I just went to lowe's and out one together with the kobalt oil/air seperator and some fittings and 3/" fuel hose.

cost $21.

-venom-

Established Member
that looks alot better than mine, but I just went to lowe's and out one together with the kobalt oil/air seperator and some fittings and 3/" fuel hose.

cost $21.

I had a setup it like that but was too complicated and looked too busy since it was a closed system. Home depot sells the black but I got away with painting it black.

IMG_6781.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread