How to not ride the clutch

Squeeler92

Ok, still kinda new to manual transmissions and having the clutch upgraded, my installer says there's definitely some premature wear from riding the clutch. I've driven the car a good amount in stop and go traffic which I will ride the clutch since it's so much easier and allows for better speed control. How do I avoid this in the future?

I also ride it while in reverse, but that amount of time is so minimal I don't think I have to worry, altho I'm sure I will work on that as well to help along the life of the clutch. However, like stated, I definitely think the stop and go traffic is the culprit here.

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
Are you resting your foot on the pedal when you're driving along? That's riding the clutch. Sounds like you're describing slipping the clutch, which is normal.

Squeeler92

Bullitt995 said:
Are you resting your foot on the pedal when you're driving along? That's riding the clutch. Sounds like you're describing slipping the clutch, which is normal.

Ah yes, I suppose slipping the clutch is more like it, but I hear the terms can be used synonymously. Apparently, things weren't looking very good for my clutch/flywheel tho.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
When coming to a stop at say a stop sign, I always throw it into neutral. And anytime I'm stopped I always have it in neutral. That will help take some stress off the clutch instead of just always holding the clutch in.

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
riding the clutch means not releasing the pedal all the way for longer periods of time then needed resulting in noncomplete lockup between clutch and flyweel. Practice is the only way to get better, when coming off a light you should have the clutch fully depressed in 2-3 seconds(from my experience).

Squeeler92

Yea, whenever I am coming to a stop, stopped or going down a hill, I pop it in neutral and leave the clutch alone while coasting or sitting there. Seems as though I'm doing everything right ... or at least what everone else is doing. Wonder why there were signs of premature wear? Maybe it was the few times that my bro took it out and came back saying, "I did pretty well! I only stalled it [insert 1-3 times here]!" -__-;;

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Riding the clutch some is necessary to be smooth with it. Also helps with launching on street tires. The only times I ride the clutch is taking off from a dead stop and when I'm backing up though.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
im not sure how you would cause a ton of wear on such a new car unless you are slipping the clutch each time you shift into a new gear for really long periods of time. practice shifting a little quicker maybe? im sure after time you could be just as smooth(if that is the problem). then again, ive been driving clutch for about a year and a half now, so im not quite the fore most expert of stick shifts.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Orange Stang 04 said:
When coming to a stop at say a stop sign, I always throw it into neutral. And anytime I'm stopped I always have it in neutral. That will help take some stress off the clutch instead of just always holding the clutch in.

There is no stress on the clutch when you hold the pedal in. Stress to the clutch occurs during accleration.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
ford_racer said:
There is no stress on the clutch when you hold the pedal in. Stress to the clutch occurs during accleration.

It will wear out your t/o bearing quicker by holding it in like that for long periods of time. (Although looking back this wasnt the problem the OP was having)

Last edited:

chevytosvt

Guns go bang
Established Member
WorkHorse09 said:
Yea, whenever I am coming to a stop, stopped or going down a hill, I pop it in neutral and leave the clutch alone while coasting or sitting there. Seems as though I'm doing everything right ... or at least what everone else is doing. Wonder why there were signs of premature wear? Maybe it was the few times that my bro took it out and came back saying, "I did pretty well! I only stalled it [insert 1-3 times here]!" -__-;;

I would have to say that would be your culprit? Or the already mentioned slipping of the clutch while shifting. In my S10 I have 140k miles on the original clutch and its still going strong :shrug:

DravenGSX

Established Member
Take some time and go to an empty parking lot. Put the car in first gear and practice releasing the clutch fully without ever touching the gas pedal. This will help you find the engagement point and you'll be surprised at how easy it becomes.

When in stop and go traffic, try to avoid staying on the bumper of the person in front of you. Put the car in first gear, release the clutch the same way that you practiced in the parking lot and leave it there. There is no need to accelerate with everybody else when you are in stop and go. You'll be surprised how many times you never have to touch the brakes.

When reversing, engage the clutch enough to get moving and then depress the pedal again. This will save wear from sitting on the clutch pedal. The car will continue moving.

Users who are viewing this thread