how to properly store the shelby for 4-5 months

liter of cola

Established Member
so I will be storing my Shelby for about 4-5 months each year in a garage during the winter months. this will be the first time i ever stored a vehicle for this long. I know i'll need a trickle charger to keep the battery from dying. I also hear that you should change the cars oil right before putting it into storage, is that necessary? Will I need to put the car on jacks so the tires don't get flat spots? if so what are the best jack stand points on the Shelby? is it bad to have the car on jacks for that long? also do i need to add some kind of additive to the gas tank?

should i start the car up every once in a while or is it ok to leave it alone for the whole 5 months?

Last edited:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
detail paint, change oil, briefly run to get fresh oil in engine, stabil w/ full tank of gas (stabil now has some for ethanol so if you only have e10 in your area, get that), battery tender, over inflate tires, park on carpet squares, don't start, moth balls under, leather conditioner on seats.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
so I will be storing my Shelby for about 4-5 months each year in a garage during the winter months. this will be the first time i ever stored a vehicle for this long. I know i'll need a trickle charger to keep the battery from dying. I also hear that you should change the cars oil right before putting it into storage, is that necessary? Will I need to put the car on jacks so the tires don't get flat spots? if so what are the best jack stand points on the Shelby? is it bad to have the car on jacks for that long? also do i need to add some kind of additive to the gas tank?

should i start the car up every once in a while or is it ok to leave it alone for the whole 5 months?

You're funny man! You don't even have the car yet and have it going in storage November '16. Relax kiddo

liter of cola

Established Member
You're funny man! You don't even have the car yet and have it going in storage November '16. Relax kiddo

i am perfectly relaxed kiddo. just wanna make sure i have everything i need so i dont need to worry about it later... kiddo

liter of cola

Established Member
detail paint, change oil, briefly run to get fresh oil in engine, stabil w/ full tank of gas (stabil now has some for ethanol so if you only have e10 in your area, get that), battery tender, over inflate tires, park on carpet squares, don't start, moth balls under, leather conditioner on seats.

thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Snoopy49

Established Member
I thought you were not going to buy a car until June of 2017. If that is the case, your over a year away from the purchase, assuming you can even find one for a price your willing to pay.

Wait six months for what? The 350? Well I'm not making my purchase till June 2017, I'm getting my funds in order so I'm not in a rush.

liter of cola

Established Member
I thought you were not going to buy a car until June of 2017. If that is the case, your over a year away from the purchase, assuming you can even find one for a price your willing to pay.

ended up putting in an msrp order a few weeks ago for a magnetic w/ white stripe 2017, im assuming the car may come as early as this fall, so if that happens i'll be storing the car this winter.

Last edited:

liter of cola

Established Member
^ I am gonna have the recaros and yeah I don't think the suede would appreciate leather conditioner lol.

wanted to ask... whats the benefit of carpet squares under the tires?

Last edited:

'14 Shelby

Established Member
i am perfectly relaxed kiddo. just wanna make sure i have everything i need so i dont need to worry about it later... kiddo

Lol, gotcha! I hope it all works for you. My experience with trying to get a 500 a few yrs back was that I say with the GM ordered at msrp only to find out 6 weeks later that my application was "lost" and the GM was no longer there.

So my comment was sorta based on the fact that you didn't have the car yet and you sounded like an excited kid on Christmas Eve who couldn't wait for morning.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
^ I am gonna have the recaros and yeah I don't think the suede would appreciate leather conditioner lol.

wanted to ask... whats the benefit of carpet squares under the tires?

Thick carpet along with a little extra tire pressure will help reduce the risk of flat spots.

Go to Home Depot and grab some of the scraps they have

I can tell u that any tire sitting for too long can begin to "crack" due to dry rot. That mainly comes from lack of use in the extreme cold and moisture. Don't know if you can put anything on them to help prevent that

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
I wouldn't bother changing the oil before going into storage. Wait until it comes out.

I do it because water is by product of combustion plus any other contaminants could cause some surface rust or whatever sitting. Plus, once spring comes around, you can just drive it and not deal with changing oil :beer:

Also, if you want to get real crazy, the pilot super sports on it might have a cold rating they should not go below (at least not operate under)...you could bring the wheels inside. Put jack stands under suspension so the weight is on suspension though.

Last edited:

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I wouldn't bother changing the oil before going into storage. Wait until it comes out.

I do mine this way but in one of the gazillion UOA threads there's comment about changing oil before storage. If I remember correctly it had to do with contaminants and rust

liter of cola

Established Member
I'm pretty confident my allocation order is in good hands.... Not worried about that, do me a favor dont worry about how i sound to you, cuz i really couldnt care less, your just making yourself sound like a jack.

Anyways...

I wanted to have the car on jack stands originally to ensure the tires are kept inside and in the best shape possible. You guys know where i can get lug stands? They bolt onto the lugs instead of the wheel, i've seen them at car shows but i have no idea where to get them or what they are officially called.

So, so far this is the plan for storing the car.... Change the oil, unless weathers already bad when the car comes, wash/wax, remove battery and leave on a tender, add stabil to a full tank of gas, put car on lug stands or over fill tires and leave on carpets, cover the car and throw some moth balls underneath.

Am i missing anything?

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I'm pretty confident my allocation order is in good hands.... Not worried about that, do me a favor dont worry about how i sound to you, cuz i really couldnt care less, your just making yourself sound like a jack.
Lighten up Francis... I'm busting your balls, you've earned it. You sure your from NY bein' all thin skinned and butthurt? Take a deep breath, insert your tampon and relax. You don't even have the car yet and your prepping it for storage, disappointed you heard you can't turn off traction control, and I'm sure the list goes on.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
If you go with the lug or jack stands, you might as well bolt the car to the floor. If something happens, flood or fire, you need to be able to move the car quickly. If your storage area deeps into freezing temperatures and stays there for an extended period of time, get another set of wheels and tire just for storage purposes and store the good wheels and tires in a temperature controlled environment. Otherwise go with the carpet pads or Race Ramps Flatstoppers.

liter of cola

Established Member
Lighten up Francis... I'm busting your balls, you've earned it. You sure your from NY bein' all thin skinned and butthurt? Take a deep breath, insert your tampon and relax. You don't even have the car yet and your prepping it for storage, disappointed you heard you can't turn off traction control, and I'm sure the list goes on.

Your special... Listen here nance, im gonna have a 350. Regardless of anything. Try not to worry so much about other ppls allocations.

If you go with the lug or jack stands, you might as well bolt the car to the floor. If something happens, flood or fire, you need to be able to move the car quickly. If your storage area deeps into freezing temperatures and stays there for an extended period of time, get another set of wheels and tire just for storage purposes and store the good wheels and tires in a temperature controlled environment. Otherwise go with the carpet pads or Race Ramps Flatstoppers.

Im not worried about flood or fire. But race ramp flat stoppers sound interesting.

liter of cola
What made you decide to sell your 2014 GT?

I decided to sell cuz the plans i had for it woulda pretty much had me with a similar performing car to the shelby gt350. I was gonna do an all out n/a build. So when the 350 came out i decided that i might as well start there, plus i was getting pretty sick of the SRA, roads here really bring out the worst of that SRA.

The IRS and the overall sexiness of the 350 is what made me sell, so i just sold her right then when i decided that, figured why wait and let the 14' depreciate any more. Im happy with the sale, i bought the car new for 29k and sold it for 27k. Had her for 1 year and 3 months, put 15k miles on her.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread