How to remove 96-98 intake runners?

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
Hey, anybody got any good ideas??? I've searched the topic any way that I can think of, and I can't come up with anything. I have heard of baking it in the oven.....Tried that but was unsure on how long and at what temp to set it for. Any concern over warping the intake at all by doing this??? Any Help would be appreciated. My ideas are to shorten the runners by 2 inches, port match to the IMRC plates/heads, remove part of the divider where it splits the runner into the primary and secodary ports so that it is a constant diameter/area. and remove any casting flash. Any other ideas. I know that I could send it out and get better results than I will probably have but I am a DIY'er and want the experience.........If I screw up I have another one in the basement anyway.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
I'm doing the same thing man. I am gonna try the oven, hopefully it works. I'm just gonna do it at 400 degrees F for like 20 minutes. I can't imagine 400 degrees would hurt anything, considering the temps they endure in race conditions. I heard you really have to pull on them...

XR8TED285

Established Member
I doubht the oven will work the epoxy chars off it doesnt melt I would not put it in the oven....

SnakeBite98

HIGH-REV HORROR
Established Member
i believed this was discussed over on corral, the consencious was you bake it at like 400 degrees or something. I don't really know another way to get the pieces seperated from the epoxy.

blue88mustang

Established Member
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=557395

For the link clinking challenged, here are the important tidbits:
*EDIT* I have received a tip that has been passed onto me by a fellow Corraler. An easy way to remove the epoxy is: bake the lower intake at 400*F upside down on an old cookie sheet for 10 minutes. The epoxy will drip onto the cookie sheet and this should greatly reduce the effort of removing the runners. Please note that I have not personally tried this yet, but the tip comes from someone that has modded many an intake.

Later in the thread another corral member claims to have tried this method with GREAT SUCCESS (aside from the smoke filled house due to not getting his intake clean enough). Posted on 2/11/05 by 97svtSnail:
Thought I'd let everyone know that the Oven method Does infact work!
I tried it yesterday on mine. I put it in the oven upside down and cooked @ 600 degrees for about an hour, then use a long flat blade screwdriver to pry the runners apart at the top tabs, then #1 can be pried outfrom underneath,between the intake and the bottom of the runner, just be careful, use oven mits and towwels to keep from getting burned. I had to reheat the intake after removing the first 4 runners because the epoxy started to reharden. You will need a hammer to lightly tap the runners around in the bore so the loosen and come out, just remember to tap lightly because the runners are pretty thin.
Oh, and be sure to do this when you have the house to yourself and have ample time to let the house air out because the intake will make some serious smoke if you don't get all the oil and carbon cleaned out which is nearly immpossible, so open all all windows and unplug smoke detectors. It would be better to use an industrial oven if you know someone that has one at work or something.

On a side note, I have cleaned up my spare intake and plan on trying the oven method this weekend if I have time. The epoxy on my spare intake feels fairly "rubbery" so I would imagine that at 400*F it will be fluid enough that it will give when it is scraped with a screw driver. I will be posting on the corral regardless of whether or not the oven method works.

Users who are viewing this thread