how to remove a 60,000 mile lower?

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
any tips? ive broke a craftsman 1/2" ratchet, a snap on 1/2" ratchet, now i have a 3/4 snap on ratchet on it, with a 6' cheater bar. no luck. the cars in 6th gear, with the parking brake all the way up, so the motors not turning over, i just cant get the damn thing to break loose! any tips or advice?

CWD

Established Member
Turns clockwise

Make sure you are going the right direction. Entire hub unscrews. I used a floor jack, placing the handle of the rachet on it then lowering the weight of the car down on it. Made a loud pop and was done!

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
a good penetrating oil can do wonders...

gravity is working against you here but it will still wick in

Last edited:

03InThe11s

Established Member
hey, good idea. mine kept trying to turn, so i took a jack with a peice of 2x4 on it and jacked it up untill it put some weight on the pulley. and it has reverse threads right? unscrews clockwise. or atleast thats what ive been trying to do.

03InThe11s

Established Member
yup, shes had wd40 on it for some time now. going to try lowering it down on it though... be back in a little bit with updates. btw, thanks guys!

CWD

Established Member
No no no

It unscrews clockwise but the entire hub unscrews! Unit comes off as on entire cage! 14mm allen with rachet and entire pulley unscrews.....part belt goes around all one piece. You are probably holding it with the 2x4! Careful!

CWD

Established Member
Got to spray the back side where threads are!

03InThe11s said:
yup, shes had wd40 on it for some time now. going to try lowering it down on it though... be back in a little bit with updates. btw, thanks guys!
Be careful!

03InThe11s

Established Member
aight, well its off! btw, the 2x4 was on the other lower for the other pulley system.

i took the 3/4 breaker bar and jacked it up with a floor jack. once i had nearly pulled the front tires off the ground, my dad and i both pushed down on the radiator support. the second time she broke loose! thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

CWD

Established Member
Cool!

03InThe11s said:
aight, well its off! btw, the 2x4 was on the other lower for the other pulley system.

i took the 3/4 ratchet and jacked it up with a floor jack. once i had nearly pulled the front tires off the ground, my dad and i both pushed down on the radiator support. the second time she broke loose! thanks for the advice!
Rest is a breeze now! Good luck Charles

03InThe11s

Established Member
CWD said:
Rest is a breeze now! Good luck Charles

ehh, charles, chris, there about the same :rolling:

its on and working. just gotta get a belt for it. ordered a 76" gatorback for it, think thats about the right size (2.8 upper, aux. idler, and 2lbs lower) heres hoping :beer:

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Man, I can't believe how hard this is for some people. All you need is a 1/2" wrench, and a pipe. Put the pipe on the wrench, and with one swift kick of your leg, the thing comes loose. I've done it this way several times.

03InThe11s

Established Member
badcobra said:
Man, I can't believe how hard this is for some people. All you need is a 1/2" wrench, and a pipe. Put the pipe on the wrench, and with one swift kick of your leg, the thing comes loose. I've done it this way several times.

jeez. im such an idiot. if only i would have had you there to give it the all mighty swift kick. then i would have had the enjoyment of seeing you with a broke foot. :kaboom: IT TOOK LIFTING THE WHOLE CAR WITH THE FREAKING BREAKER BAR AND TWO 250lbs+ GUYS PUSHING DOWN ON THE CAR TO BREAK IT LOOSE. i broke 2, not one but two 1/2" ratchets. not the china stuff, a craftsman and a snap on. and it bent the handle of the craftsman before it gave way.

Users who are viewing this thread