how to remove engine

Russyo

Established Member
Hey guys, I have a question about pulling my motor. I have a 96 cobra and my vortech recently sucked in my intake elbow and shot peices of the propeller into my motor. I have to pull the motor to pull the heads, to clean out everything. I am wondering if it is possible to take the front end of the car off, to make this task easier. Im wondering if this is the easiest and most effective way to takle this task. I did pull the motor a few months back and its was huge pain to get back in and stab the tranny back on. If I take the front end off, would it make it easier to take the motor and tranny out together rather than trying to stab the motor and then the tranny to the motor?? What are your thought on this idea. Thanks guys!
Russyo

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Taking the front end off isn't going to give you more clearance between the radiator core support. That's always going to be there. I think its a waste of time, personally. Do it the traditional way through the top. I know its a painus in the anus...but anything else would be creating more work for yourself and not gaining much more room.

on-3svt

Established Member
i have done it three times in my driveway
its easy as hell if you can get the trans off first
but it will come out with headers and all w/no problem
just take out the radiator and unbolt the air unit off block and leave it in the car
all hooked up you can do the same with the power steering but you have to take off the reservoir and hoses

any problems pm me ill help

Last edited:

Russyo

Established Member
ok, well first I was thinking of taking the entire front mounts off, bumper support, radiator support, fenders and all. I am trying to avoid taking the whole motor completely out of the car. and maybe a little easier to put back in. Please explain to me how you got the motor out whole. I had to take off the a/c, the power steering, the fuel rails and stuff. Is there an easier way of stabbing the tranny back on aftewards. I can get the motor out pretty easy, but putting it back is the hard part, no room for mistakes and you cant really see around the motor. Last time I had to direct the motor from under the car as my father lowered it down into the bay. It was no fun at all. I am in the dallas, Tx area if anyone would like to help, whenever I actually decide to do it. I am kinda waiting for the right weather and a good weekend to get her done. Also I dont have a motor lift, so I have to rent one and its like $35 a day, and I dont have a stand, so we had to make one out of 2X4 last time I did this. Not too hard, but a big pain in the but. Thanks for the replies guys!
Russyo

CY98Cobra

Established Member
dropping the frontend is pretty easy if you know how to do it. thats the way the factory puts them in, from underneath. my vocational teacher dropped the frontend, motor and tranny out of camaro in about 2 hours so it can be done very quickly/easily. if you drop the frontend there is no need to unbolt the tranny, but you would have to have a lift to do it this way. with the lift you can raise the body off the motor.

96cobrakid

Established Member
drop it out the borttom attached to the K-member still, if u can get the car high enought o do it. otherwise, i have pulled the motor out of the top with the tranny connected, just gotta be the right angle. Here are a few pics from doing mine..
motor_install_008.jpg

motor_install_012.jpg

motor_install_013.jpg

motor_install_014.jpg

motor_install_017.jpg

Russyo

Established Member
romiving motor

thanks for the tips, I was thinking of taking the front bumpers, fenders, and stuff off and sliding it out of the front, or maybe not taking it all the way out at all. I only have to take the heads off, and I cant believe we have to pull our motors to get them off. Its just crazy, all that work for like 25 screws, stupid I think. Anyhow, I know people have done it this way I have seen pictures of people doing it. And taking the tranny out on the motor is a little difficult in my opinion, however, putting it back in with the tranny on, might not be a bad idea. But how did you not dump tranny fluid all over the place. Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips, and the pictures, more pictures would be helpful! Thanks
Russyo :rockon:

Russyo

Established Member
sounds good to me. I found a friend who has an engine hoist just sitting in his garage, so I am good to roll. Now i just need some time, a little patience, and space in the garage, and a little good weather, about 40 and I will be set to rock! Thanks again guys for the tips. Anyone have any pics of them taking their motors out. I appreciate all the help!
Thanks
Russyo

Users who are viewing this thread