How to replace ac evaporator core

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
I did a search, and nothing came up. Maybe I just missed it.

I'm still refurbishing all the parts in preparation to reassemble the 2000 V6 I am converting into a 2004 GT. Today I worked on the complete ac/heater box assembly because I am going to replace the heater core and ac evaporator core so I don't have to go back in there for a very long time.

I got the heater core out, but the evaporator is sealed in the housing, no bolts or screws to open it up. Haynes manual says the entire assembly must be replaced and my factory Ford manual hints at the same thing. However, all the auto parts stores and even Rock Auto, only carry the core itself. My guess is that you have to cut the housing open to slide the evaporator out and then reglue the box.

I looked for a YouTube and found one for a 1989, but not the 1999-04 version. Do any of you have the way to do this job, and if so, where do you cut ?

Thanks,

Don

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
Ok, I figured it out. I cut out the top of the housing, right over the evaporator core, and was able to slip it out. I used a dremel tool with a round cutoff wheel and it went easy.

I forgot my camera, but will post pictures and a better description as I go, it might help someone else who is having an ac problem.

When I put the new core in, I will use West System G Flex epoxy adhesive to glue the top back in place. I've used it before and it works great on all plastics.

Don

Last edited:

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
I'm finding out that this job isn't as hard as I thought it would be, and am posting some pictures in case it will help someone else do the job. As I mentioned, the toughest part is getting the dash and heater box out.

I took a dremel and cut out a rectangular section right over the top of the evaporator core. The plastic housing was easy to cut and the "lid" I created came right off. Be sure to cut exactly where I did in my pictures, because it ended up just large enough for the core to slip up and out of the housing. Any smaller and it would have bound up. Here is the housing after I cut the top off:

gt%20ac%20evaporator%20repair%20004_zpsb4hj2p9k.jpg

This is the new "lid" that I removed. I will epoxy it back on once I get the new evaporator core installed. I should have that part and the new heater core this week. I am not only going to use West System epoxy to glue it on, but I am going to add a small brace to the backside because it mounts to the dash there, and it has some strain on that area.

gt%20ac%20evaporator%20repair%20003_zpsgwcdisbc.jpg

Here is the old evaporator core, I could have probably used it, but I am replacing every other part on the car, so this one had to go too. I never want to pull the dash out again as long as I own the car.

gt%20ac%20evaporator%20repair%20005_zpsb4kuowgj.jpg

I will post more pictures when I install the new core and glue it all back together.

Don

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread