How to tell if engine needs rebuild

AaronsP71

Established Member
I have a 98 Mark VIII engine that I pulled from the junk yard that appears to be in excellent shape. I think it has around 80,000 miles on it. I took off the valve covers and timing chain cover and everything looks great. When I take off the heads tomorrow what should I look for to see if the engine needs I rebuilt. I'm going to look for cross hatching and a grove at top dead center for each piston. I would like to have the block hot tanked and honed but would like to avoid boring out the cylinders and replace the rings on the stock pistons. I want to shoot for around 350-400 rwhp n/a with c heads and the 99-01 cobra intake.
Also can I use a thinner head gasket than stock to raise the compression? Is there another cheap way to raise compression?
One more thing- how strong is the mark viii crank shaft in the 98. I know its not nearly as strong as its cobra cousin but if I replaced the stock rods and pistons what kind of power can the stock crank hold up to?

MLS

Established Member
You have it apart just do it right the first time. I have an 03 crank and rods for cheap all bearings included just needs new pistons.(perfect oppertunity to get flat tops for higher compression for your n/a motor) pm me if interested

MLS

Established Member
And to answer question all parts should be adequate for around your goals. You can change the gaskets form different compression or you could mill the heads. There are downsides to the head milling though.

AaronsP71

Established Member
Hey I'm interested but I can't seem to PM you. I think there might be a restriction for new members on PMing.

CJK440

Established Member
Unless something failed, you can pretty much count on seeing all the original crosshatch and of course zero ridge.

Users who are viewing this thread