How to Wet-Sand ?

trance_in_miami

Established Member
I went to the body shop and noticed they were wet sanding a new 2005 black accord. I ask them why were they wet sanding if the car has a perfect paint and no scratches/swirls. the shop owner said it removes orange peel. :dw:. they only use 3m sanding paper 1500" and a rubber squegee :shrug: . It looked very easy to do. I have never done it but i want to do it soon on my mothers old car. Any suggestions?

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
Use 1500 dry on a 6 inch da sander(easiest) and then get some 3000 grit with a squirt bottle of water and sand it again getting it alittle wet as you sand. Get some trizac compound(green 3m bottle) with a black polishing pad and buff til ur arms fall off. 1500 by itself takes longer to get out plus you have to use rougher compounds which will scratch the paint,where as the 3000 cuts the 1500 down, then use the trizac compound and it will buff like butter. Trust me ur arms will thank me later. Do one panel at a time.
Good luck
Scott

Last edited:

spraying away

Tough Guy!
Established Member
DO NOT DO IT!!!!I am a veteran professional,and you will ruin your car!!!!
take it to a pro!It'll be alot cheaper than a repaint!

spree

Established Member
I've done spot wet-sanding work on my car before. It's not too hard, you just have to be very, very careful. I used Meguiar's 2000 grit unigrit paper. Soak it in a mixture of water/carwash soap for about 15 minutes, and make sure you keep the surface that you're working on wet. Make sure your strokes are all in the same direction. Do not go back and forth. Try not to do too many passes, especially on our cars (thin paint).

When done, I use Menzerna IP on a PC cutting pad followed by Menzerna FPII on a finishing pad. Works like a charm.

trance_in_miami

Established Member
yeah i saw the guy with a little hose constanlty running water thru. It just looks so simple. But i will practice on a beat up car. I would never do it with my stang.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Do you have a PC or rotary? I would never use a PC to try to get out wet sanding marks. That's like using a push mower to cut 10 acres of grass. The PC has its place, but not on wet sanding duties. Don't be afraid to do it if you are using a test car that you don't care about. You can also go to the junk yard and buy old panels for cheap. Brillo pad the hell out of them and practice. Yes you can screw up your paint bad if you mess up, but it can be done properly if you take your time and practice! When you feel confident enough to do your own car, then you need to practice more. Trust me, you can never be too confident! When I first thought I was ready I screwed up bad, but luckily it was on a crappy wholesale car which didn't matter anyway. The one thing I learned is make sure you go the same direction with your movements. Don't go up and down, then left to right. I think it's good for everyone to mess up once though, because it shows you how little it can take to actually make an error. I haven't messed up in 3 years, but I still try to avoid wet sanding as much as possible. It's just not one of my hobbies lol.

spree

Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
Do you have a PC or rotary? I would never use a PC to try to get out wet sanding marks. That's like using a push mower to cut 10 acres of grass. The PC has its place, but not on wet sanding duties.

Although I agree that a rotary would be more effective, you'd be surprised at what you could do with a PC, a cutting pad, and some Menzerna IP. It did a great job of removing my wetsanding marks.

Juiced-03

Established Member
spree said:
Although I agree that a rotary would be more effective, you'd be surprised at what you could do with a PC, a cutting pad, and some Menzerna IP. It did a great job of removing my wetsanding marks.

Yeah the only reason I am against the PC for wet sanding is that I never had much luck removing swirls with a PC, let alone sand marks. I guess I have always been use to the quick rotary and was too impatient for the PC to smooth things out. I have heard great things about Menzerna on sanding marks. I still need to try it out lol.

Last edited:

spree

Established Member
Venom04 said:
Spree are those pictures in your sig after the wet sanding cuz damn they look good ?

no, before. And the wetsanding was done in 2 small spots on my car. I wouldn't have the nerve to wetsand the whole car.

BLK_03

Established Member
The area on the left and right of the license plate on my car has crazy orange peel. I have debated several times wet sanding this area. The one thing keeping me from it is my lack of confidence in getting the porter cable in such a confined, small area.

Spree, I know yours is the same way. Why don't you give it a shot and let me know how it works for ya! :-D

Users who are viewing this thread