how will 2.7 gears affect mileage

skunk160

Established Member
sorry i know its a gear question..

im looking a '99 cobra and the owner has fitted 2.7 gears if he has not corrected the speedo how will the mileage read? over or under?

if i buy it ill get 4.10 or 4.30's :rockon:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
do you mean 2.7 rear gears? that's nuts! if so, then your sppedo will read a slower speed than you are really going.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
why would anyone want 2.7 gears in a dohc 4.6?

is your saleen tangelo orange pearl? that color is ****ing rare and only came on '96 stangs.

skunk160

Established Member
99riocobra said:
do you mean 2.7 rear gears? that's nuts! if so, then your sppedo will read a slower speed than you are really going.

yeah 2.7 rear (i didnt know they even made 2.7's) so if its reading slower then the 73k milege is artificially high or low? if its not been corrected

may test drive again wiht my GPS to test the "honesty" of the speedo

skunk160

Established Member
dirty_canadian said:
why would anyone want 2.7 gears in a dohc 4.6?

is your saleen tangelo orange pearl? that color is ****ing rare and only came on '96 stangs.

yeah, well it was called Tangerine if thats the same....dang i miss that car.....thanks for bringin it all back.....no...no i'm ok....

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
skunk160 said:
yeah, well it was called Tangerine if thats the same....dang i miss that car.....thanks for bringin it all back.....no...no i'm ok....

i almost bought a '96 gt in that color, bondurant racing school has a few, i didnt even know they made saleens in that color what happened to it?

CobraG

Established Member
I don't think I've ever heard of someone going below stock gears :shrug:

Let us know if that's the true mileage, I'm curious

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
i know a guy that had 2.73s in his 03 10th...now he has 3.27s

dear god could you imagine how slow a N/a 4V would be/feel with 2.73???

01vert

Established Member
With 2.73s the mileage would be LOWER than actual, the car would show it going faster than it actually is so when running at a real 65, the speedo would show something like 45.

A geared car runs the speedo high, so the miles shown are actually higher than the actual miles put on the car, so the opposite is true on this car

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
2.73s! Those are the stock gears in my 87 5.0 notch at 80mph the engine is only turning about 1950 rpms that's with 245/45r17s. I always wondered what theyd be like in a redline happy 4V. I wonder what the car would do for a top speed!?!

SVT1012

Black on Black on Black
Established Member
I had a friend with a 79 Camaro that was his project in high school. He decided he wanted to throw 4.10s and a mini spool in it right after we dropped in a fresh 383 stroker. We took the stock gears out and did the calculation...they were 2.41s!!! Needless to say, we about wet ourselves the first time we had the car out after we did the gear swap. I can't imagine a new edge Cobra with any less than 3.27s, wow!

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
I'm putting 2.42's in with 30" tall slicks. My bet is that it dead-hooks an accelerates like a herd of turtles.

Users who are viewing this thread