Howling sound from rear of car

NCStanger

Established Member
Hi, I'm getting a "howling" noise from the rear of my 03 cobra when turning left or right from a dead stop and don't know what it might be. Doesn't do it when I take off in a straight line that I can notice. No fluid noticed in driveway. Did grease ball joints about 5 months ago as they were pretty bone dry.

Any ideas? :shrug:

Is the rear end nearing it's end? Car has 120K on it and fluid was changed in it at 80K. Slight seepage but no drip has been noticed before however. Oh and I did have rubber bushings supporing rear end replaced with some aluminum ones I bought from a fellow cobra owner out here about early summer 09. Didn't notice any howling though until about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks if you know what this may be. Happy holidays to all! :)

Digital

Established Member
Hi, I'm getting a "howling" noise from the rear of my 03 cobra when turning left or right from a dead stop and don't know what it might be. Doesn't do it when I take off in a straight line that I can notice. No fluid noticed in driveway. Did grease ball joints about 5 months ago as they were pretty bone dry.

Any ideas? :shrug:

Is the rear end nearing it's end? Car has 120K on it and fluid was changed in it at 80K. Slight seepage but no drip has been noticed before however. Oh and I did have rubber bushings supporing rear end replaced with some aluminum ones I bought from a fellow cobra owner out here about early summer 09. Didn't notice any howling though until about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks if you know what this may be. Happy holidays to all! :)

No one wants to be first on this huh? I get first swing then...
Can you be more descriptive on the howling noise?
I would image your diff is on the way out. No biggie since they can be rebuilt or got for ~150 new.
I would pull the back seat down while someones drives and lay my face in the trunk, try to hear if its coming from the pumpkin or one of the wheel sides.
If you pull the diff out I would do a full rebuild, 120k, bout that time? =)

Wayneo

Established Member
sounds like clutch packs nothing else it could really be, try sharp turns from a dead stop, probable will get worse

Users who are viewing this thread