HOWTO: Drain fuel tank without removal

haskett

Established Member
There are many ways to do this. This is how I did it.
What you will need:
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Valve stem tool
  • Rags
  • 10' of 1/4" fuel hose
  • Large gas cans to capture the fuel
  • Wrench or socket to loosen battery terminal
  • Rags
  • Heavy automotive wire (I used 12 gauge)
  • A 12 vdc power source (I used a spare automotive battery)
Procedure:
  1. Locate a fire extinguisher and keep it nearby.
  2. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.
  3. Find the Schrader valve on the passenger side of the engine, towards the front. Remove the black cap. Be careful not to lose the rubber plug that goes between the metal valve and the hard plastic cap.
  4. Place a towel or rag under the valve to catch gasoline.
  5. Using a valve stem tool, unscrew the core of the Schrader valve.
  6. Place one end of a 1/4" ID hose over the valve and the other end into a large gas can
  7. Inside the trunk, obtain access to the FPDM behind the driver side inner liner
  8. Disconnect the FPDM harness at the top rear of the module. There is a clip on the back of the plug that you push in while gently tugging on the harness.
  9. Connect a ground source (negative side of battery) to pin #3 on the harness (RD/BK wire)
  10. Connect a 12 VDC power source (positive side of batter) to pin #10 on the harness (BN/PK wire)
  11. Within a couple of seconds, you should hear the fuel pump whirring and fuel should push out of the hose into the can.
  12. Check that there is no leak at the Schrader valve.
  13. Check that none of your wires are getting hot.
  14. Watch your gas can to ensure no overfill. In my case, it took about 2 minutes per gallon.
  15. As soon as the gas stops coming out, immediately disconnect the power source. Don't allow the fuel pump to run empty.
  16. Reverse procedure
View attachment 1807094

Users who are viewing this thread