HUGE DIFFERENCE! Royal Purple SynchroMax

sloopjonb

Established Member
Just wanted to be another one that let other owners know that replacing the ATF tranny fluid with Royal Purple SynchroMax does indeed make a HUGE difference in shiftability and low rpm tranny noise. Even better, it actually shifts far easier at very cold temps (below 20F), even though the fluid weight seems heavier. My shifter is like butter now, even at start-up. I'm sure Redline MTL is just as good, but this is what I went with, and I couldn't be happier.

derryck

Established Member
t actually shifts far easier at very cold temps (below 20F),

Thanks for the info., I've been looking for something to quiet this thing down. Fortunately for me it doesn't ever get that cold here... at least during waking hours.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I changed to Redline D4 about 3-4 weeks ago. Big difference over stock fluid. Of course Royal Purple has to be as good or better. I use Royal Purple 5W20 for motor oil. Living in Hawaii the temp pretty much stays a constant 75-80 daily. If I lived in a colder climate I'd use 5W30.....

missile man

Established Member
Go to the Royal Purple web site and they have an updated list of vendors throughout the US. :thumbsup:

missile man

Established Member
You can also ask the Royal Purple tech and he can match your OE needs to a specific RP product.

missile man

Established Member
I read this prior to switching to the RP. I was skeptical about this post since it was written by AMSOIL. I have read much about RP and talked to some folks that have raced it and used it for many years including my dad. Good to read it though just to get the external info. My personal prefrence is the RP.

sloopjonb

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTBlade19
where can I get royal purple motor oil and tranny fluid??

I bought it at Jeg's Performance on the Internet, and it came in about three days.

sloopjonb

Established Member
Originally posted by bborder
How much should this cost to have done? How many quarts do I need to buy?

Tranny holds 8.2 pints, so buy 5 quarts and you'll have some left over. As I recall, my dealer charged me around $30 to do it, with me supplying the RP. It was well worth it.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by mosconiac
Before you choose Royal Purple, check out the following post....

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28465

I submitted a response i got from RP to Amsoil where RP disputed the claim that they used moly - I never heard back from Amsoil, so i am now inclined to believe that their posting was from a technical illiterate retailer or perhaps a nitwit in the customer relations dept, and does not represent the truth of the matter.

I have been trying to reach a contact at RP but we can never hook up.

As to the comment that "Of course Royal Purple has to be as good or better" my question would be - on what does the person that said that base that? RP uses cheaper basestocks. I do not believe that their additive package achieves a miracle status.

Once again, it is not all that critical, but i prefer to stick with products that are either well proven in the racing world (Red Line) or well known to researchers and easily available (Mobil).

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake
I use Royal Purple 5W20 for motor oil. Living in Hawaii the temp pretty much stays a constant 75-80 daily. If I lived in a colder climate I'd use 5W30.....

:dw: How's that again? :shrug:

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
RP uses cheaper basestocks.

They use a Group 4 basestock that is in everyway as good as the Group 4 basestock that is used by Mobil and Amsoil. All their oils are true synthetics. They do NOT use Moly, to my knowledge, and as you stated, they themselves denied that, so for a company to purposely deny that when they know, in fact, that their product can easily be tested to see if such is used, would be putting themselves at a big disadvantage. Also, in case everyone wasn't aware, Amsoil buys their basestocks through Mobil Chemical Corporation :-D. However, they do produce their own additive package.

Anyone is welcome to call any of the guys at Royal Purple and personally speak with them concerning their oil, and it's quality, chemical makeup, etc. They are very great people to speak with, and will spend time with you discussing it, if you so choose. If you can't get ahold of one of the guys there, continue to call, or ask the operator if anyone is in that you can speak with. I've personaly never had any issues getting through to them. I'm not in any way connected to them, but feel that if you want to learn about a companies product then you should call them and ask to speak to someone in tech, and ask them point blank with the concerns you have.

It seems to be a BIG thing in the oil industry for every company to downplay another company's oil. Everyone of them claim to state their product is better "and here's why"! Each offering independent testing as proof to why their product outperforms others, or why it actually does perform as well as it does. They are all guilty of this.

Also, you can't go wrong with Mobil, Amsoil, Royal Purple, NEO, and even Redline, as all these oils are much better than conventional dino oils. Pick a flavor, and go with it!

Last edited:

SVT 03 Cobra

I bought 1 gallon of redline D4, emptied the tranny with the front on jackstands..... jacked up the back to level the car and filled her up... just slightly under 4 quarts..... i had about 1/2 inch left in the bottom of the gallon jug....

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by BNASPLT
They use a Group 4 basestock that is in everyway as good as the Group 4 basestock that is used by Mobil and Amsoil. All their oils are true synthetics. They do NOT use Moly, to my knowledge, and as you stated, they themselves denied that, so for a company to purposely deny that when they know, in fact, that their product can easily be tested to see if such is used, would be putting themselves at a big disadvantage. Also, in case everyone wasn't aware, Amsoil buys their basestocks through Mobil Chemical Corporation :-D. However, they do produce their own additive package.

Anyone is welcome to call any of the guys at Royal Purple and personally speak with them concerning their oil, and it's quality, chemically makeup, etc. They are very great people to speak with, and will spend time with you discussing it, if you so choose. If you can't get ahold of one of the guys there, continue to call, or ask the operator if anyone is in that you can speak with. I've personaly never had any issues getting through to them. I'm not in any way connected to them, but feel that if you want to learn about a companies product then you should call them and ask to speak to someone in tech.

Also, you can't go wrong with Mobil, Amsoil, Royal Purple, and even Redline, as all these oils are much better than conventional dino oils. Pick a flavor, and go with it!

cheaper than polyol ester which was the context of the excerpt

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
cheaper than polyol ester which was the context of the excerpt

Yeah, I see what you are stating now. My bad, bud. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread