Hurricane Baby

ToltecWarrior

Banishing Self-Importance
Established Member
As most people know, Hurricane Sandy inflicted a tremendous amount of damage to the Northeast, particularly in New York and New Jersey. Two days after the storm, I received a call from the dealership that my Shelby GT500 had arrived. I was surprised to get the call since power outages were widespread. I had previously asked that the dealership not touch the vehicle upon its arrival until I had seen it, inspected it, and taken photos. They lived up to their promise, although given the circumstances, I felt petty about my request since so many people were reeling and trying to cope with the aftermath of the storm. We lost power for 8 days and had property damage due to the high winds. Minor compared to the devastation that some people were going through. So, in the midst of handling the effects of a super storm, my dream car arrives. The combination of these events was sobering and caused me to take pause and consider the importance of life. Ultimately, I am grateful for the opportunity to reflect on these events. For me, my Shelby GT500 will always be linked to this hurricane and its aftermath. The ultimate indulgence presented itself during one of the most saddening and challenging periods of my life. How ironic!

turbo

Established Member
i too suffered. our beach house in point pleasant beach had around 250000.00 in damage, our reg home had no power for 10 days. my car was due in jersey nov 3rd. dealer called wed and said friday. today came and went, but my wife was on the frontpage of the star ledger setting up thanksgiving dinner for those who lost all. 2000 feet from our house, homes were washed into the ocean. so my car at this point is an after thought. i stiill want it badly, but life just seems different after that storm:(

ToltecWarrior

Established Member
Turbo,

I am very sorry to learn of your loss. Hopefully, there were no injuries or worse to you and your family. I believe that the people of New Jersey are resourceful and will find the strength to rebuild and thrive. Our perspectives change over time and this was quite a learning experience. Hurricane Sandy may have won the battle but the beautiful Garden State will win the war!

And by the way, toys, like your Shelby GT500, help!

ToltecWarrior

Established Member
Congrats. Now before anyone says it, "Pics or Ban" :)

OK, here is my attempt to post a photo. Please keep in mind that I am doing this without the assistance of a teenager....LOL!

Vehicle is:

Sterling Gray Metallic
Glass Roof
Shaker Pro
Heated Seats

turbo

Established Member
looks awesome, enjoy it. thanks for the well wishes. me and the family were fine, and all else can be fixed. some however, lost it all. i feel for them badly. people here are the strongest in the world, and we will all bounce back. now go enjoy that beast!

ToltecWarrior

Established Member
That car looks great with the base wheels!
Where at the Jersey Shore? I have a house in Ocean County.
S.

Thank you, Snorman! The Performance Package wheels are nice too but I really prefer the base wheels. My ultimate goal would be to get the Shelby Alcoas, but there seems to be alot of controversy in this forum regarding the size. I am more than happy with the base wheels, though!

Same with the seats.....the Recaros look great but just don't fit me well. The base seats are more comfortable for me plus I added the heated seats option as another creature comfort.

The photo in my avatar is from our home in Manahawkin. An east view across the Manahawkin bay at sunrise.....spectacular! I am humbled by nature's beauty every time I see it. Hurricane Sandy took her toll on our home but we will fight back and restore it.

And you?

turbo

Established Member
snoarman, and totaltec, im in point beach. lets do a surf taco run:beer:

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Congrats OP and it is ashame to see all the damage some people have suffered.

Snorman, total, turbo, when you guys get together, let me know. I'm not far from the area. I'd like to join!

SVT-COBRA

Established Member
I would love to meet up too. I am down by AC but its an easy ride up the GSP. Turbo and I are both awaiting delivery within the next week or so. It would be great to have a reson to drive somewhere and meet up with some other local Shelby owners.

Njtony

Established Member
Count me in also. I'm in tuckerton which took a beating but I got lucky and only the garage flooded. Made sure to save the shelby then the wife. Ha

Users who are viewing this thread