HVAC gurus

nxhappy

Established Member
What do you mean by the AC just quits? We will start with the very basics on this list.

1. Is the compressor running?
2. Is your condenser coil clean?
3. What were your pressures? High side and low side when they were checked and what was the outside temp?
4. When the AC is running, is the compressor short cycling? Or does it running continually?

I really need to know what type of refrigerant your system is and what the pressures were when the service guy checked it to be of more help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
compressor is running and humming. Yesterday I pulled off the top and hosed off the coils/fins, did not seem that dirty. Pressure I am not sure, tech said "within range". It is running 420 freon. So when it randomly quits BOTH the fan and the compressor shut off, no noises. seems time happen about the same time of day 3 or 4pm. We can leave it off for 1-2 hours and then the unit will start working again. this makes me think the compressor is overheating and tripping a switch. I installed new filters today, they were a little dirty. As of now AC is working and holding temp. Today's forecast 112 =)

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
compressor is running and humming. Yesterday I pulled off the top and hosed off the coils/fins, did not seem that dirty. Pressure I am not sure, tech said "within range". It is running 420 freon. So when it randomly quits BOTH the fan and the compressor shut off, no noises. seems time happen about the same time of day 3 or 4pm. We can leave it off for 1-2 hours and then the unit will start working again. this makes me think the compressor is overheating and tripping a switch. I installed new filters today, they were a little dirty. As of now AC is working and holding temp. Today's forecast 112 =)
Yeah, its been hot even by Phoenix standards this week. If both fan and compressor kick off, could be a fault between the control unit and T-stat. Would be nice to watch the pressures operation and observe it when it kicks off. Could also be debris in the system clogging the orifice.

Keep the faith good sir, in 2 months it will be paradise here. :D

nxhappy

Established Member
it only took 7 minutes between on and off.... possible short cycling ??

nxhappy

Established Member
its been running about an hour now, cold air and keeping temp. maybe the coils just needed a hose down.

side note- maybe the T stat is bad ? It does click on but it's probably 10 years old. New T stat is $50

john11gt

Established Member
its been running about an hour now, cold air and keeping temp. maybe the coils just needed a hose down.

side note- maybe the T stat is bad ? It does click on but it's probably 10 years old. New T stat is $50

Thermostats don’t go bad too often, assuming it’s a simple Honeywell or something. Just make sure the batteries are fresh in it.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
So, if it’s doing it at around the same time of day, 3 or 4 pm, that would tell me high pressure is shutting down the unit. Is the A coil clean as well? Also, if your shutting it down, then restarting, I would assume the outside air temp has dropped, which in return would also drop pressures. Also, when you’re spraying the condenser, you are also dropping the pressures tremendously. Just in case you didn’t know. That’s a cheat that I’ve seen done for a very short term solution when in a pinch because the condenser coil can calcify from doing this.

If I were you, I would invest in a good meter to test your stat, capacitors and such. I could give you a quick crash course on how to do all this. Just make sure to buy a decent meter. You can save yourself bit money down the road.

I would also, if this is still happening and if you were to decide to call a service tech again, make sure to have them out at the heat of the day. As I’ve said before , as outside temps rise, so does your pressures. Pressure increases, so does your temperature.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I may also be able to tell you where to test voltages if you sent me a photo of your schematic on your outside unit. I would assume, if it was your thermostat, that your blower would quit running along with your ac unit.

nxhappy

Established Member
So, if it’s doing it at around the same time of day, 3 or 4 pm, that would tell me high pressure is shutting down the unit. Is the A coil clean as well? Also, if your shutting it down, then restarting, I would assume the outside air temp has dropped, which in return would also drop pressures. Also, when you’re spraying the condenser, you are also dropping the pressures tremendously. Just in case you didn’t know. That’s a cheat that I’ve seen done for a very short term solution when in a pinch because the condenser coil can calcify from doing this.

If I were you, I would invest in a good meter to test your stat, capacitors and such. I could give you a quick crash course on how to do all this. Just make sure to buy a decent meter. You can save yourself bit money down the road.

I would also, if this is still happening and if you were to decide to call a service tech again, make sure to have them out at the heat of the day. As I’ve said before , as outside temps rise, so does your pressures. Pressure increases, so does your temperature.

I do have a good working meter for volts and ohms. I cleaned the outside unit. What is the "A coil" ??

nxhappy

Established Member
I may also be able to tell you where to test voltages if you sent me a photo of your schematic on your outside unit. I would assume, if it was your thermostat, that your blower would quit running along with your ac unit.

when the outside unit quits the air is still blowing from the vents....not cold obviously

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
when the outside unit quits the air is still blowing from the vents....not cold obviously

Well, then what we could do is open up the outside unit, snap some photos of the schematic and post it up. Then, you could check for voltage on the compressor contractor when the compressor is off to see if it is being interrupted and where it is being interrupted.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Is there not a schematic on an access panel on the unit ? Do you have any documentation that may have a schematic?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Ewww.... R-22. That’s no good. Hope you don’t develop any leaks on that system. That stuff is getting outrageous and soon to be hard to come by thanks to the EPA.

Might want to think about updating sometime in the near future.

nxhappy

Established Member
Ewww.... R-22. That’s no good. Hope you don’t develop any leaks on that system. That stuff is getting outrageous and soon to be hard to come by thanks to the EPA.

Might want to think about updating sometime in the near future.

it has 420 in it

Users who are viewing this thread