HVAC Guys, trying to help a friend diagnose his furnace issues..... Can someone help?

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
So, a buddy of mine has a Coleman Furnace model# DGAF100CDJ. He called me telling me about an issue he is having and it kinda has me stumped.

So the full story is, he and his wife were going out of town for the weekend. They switched the furnace from heat to A/C due to the temps in our area projected to get up into the high 70's, low 80's. While they were gone, or weather changed and it was supposed to get super cold again on Sunday. He called his mother in law and had to go to their house and switch the thermostat back to heat from cool.

They got home and he noticed his house was at 53*. He checked to make sure she switched it back, and she had forgotten. So, he immediately switched from cool to heat and he heard the heater kick on, so he thought. He went to the furnace and it had a error code that I can't remember what he told me it was. He said got the code to clear and it went to fire again and he could hear the fan kick on, then flame, and about 10 seconds later he said it was like someone stuck a metal rod in the blower motor stopping the fan, and it just smelled like the fan was burning up.

So..... He immediately shut it off. He started browsing forums, trying to get answers with no luck. Someone suggested he try shutting the heat/cool mode to off, and switching the fan to fan only. He said the fan runs just perfectly fine that way, but as soon as he would switch it over to heat and auto fan, the same scenario with the blower motor happens again.

I am stumped, as is he. Just thought I'd post this up to see if any HVAC guys might be able to shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
So, a buddy of mine has a Coleman Furnace model# DGAF100CDJ. He called me telling me about an issue he is having and it kinda has me stumped.

So the full story is, he and his wife were going out of town for the weekend. They switched the furnace from heat to A/C due to the temps in our area projected to get up into the high 70's, low 80's. While they were gone, or weather changed and it was supposed to get super cold again on Sunday. He called his mother in law and had to go to their house and switch the thermostat back to heat from cool.

They got home and he noticed his house was at 53*. He checked to make sure she switched it back, and she had forgotten. So, he immediately switched from cool to heat and he heard the heater kick on, so he thought. He went to the furnace and it had a error code that I can't remember what he told me it was. He said got the code to clear and it went to fire again and he could hear the fan kick on, then flame, and about 10 seconds later he said it was like someone stuck a metal rod in the blower motor stopping the fan, and it just smelled like the fan was burning up.

So..... He immediately shut it off. He started browsing forums, trying to get answers with no luck. Someone suggested he try shutting the heat/cool mode to off, and switching the fan to fan only. He said the fan runs just perfectly fine that way, but as soon as he would switch it over to heat and auto fan, the same scenario with the blower motor happens again.

I am stumped, as is he. Just thought I'd post this up to see if any HVAC guys might be able to shed some light on this?

Thanks!

I once had a bird fly into the flue and bound up the exhaust motor. I pulled it apart and the skeleton and body was blocking its rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
What's weird though is the fan works fine in fan only mode with no heat. As soon as he switches it to heat mode is when he said the fan acted like it locked up. But goes back to fan only and its fine. I just got off the phone with him and he tried it again in heat/auto mode and it took off and ran fine......... It really has me stumped.

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
What's weird though is the fan works fine in fan only mode with no heat. As soon as he switches it to heat mode is when he said the fan acted like it locked up. But goes back to fan only and its fine. I just got off the phone with him and he tried it again in heat/auto mode and it took off and ran fine......... It really has me stumped.

Has anyone worked on it recently? Is this gas or electric for heat. The thermostat should always be on auto.

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
Has anyone worked on it recently? Is this gas or electric for heat. The thermostat should always be on auto.

I just got off the phone with him again. Its natural gas for heat. He said that he did notice that obviously the inducer fan comes on...... the heat lights, and then when the blower motor goes to kick in it makes some noises and is slow to come on and ramp up. Once it does get ramped up and going its fine, and went through and entire heat cycle and shut off once the indoor temp was satisfied. He said its making some moaning noises while the fan motor is trying to start. I'm starting to wondering if his capacitor for the blower fan could be getting weak, or the blower motor itself is on the verge of going out.

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
I just got off the phone with him again. Its natural gas for heat. He said that he did notice that obviously the inducer fan comes on...... the heat lights, and then when the blower motor goes to kick in it makes some noises and is slow to come on and ramp up. Once it does get ramped up and going its fine, and went through and entire heat cycle and shut off once the indoor temp was satisfied. He said its making some moaning noises while the fan motor is trying to start. I'm starting to wondering if his capacitor for the blower fan could be getting weak, or the blower motor itself is on the verge of going out.

Sounds like one of the speeds is fd up if the fan sounds fine on AC.

Coiled03

Established Member
Something similar was happening to me not long ago, sans the burning smell. Fan would kick on, flame would ignite....10 seconds later it would shut off. Turned out it was a dirty thermocouple. Technician had it fixed in no more than 15 minutes.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
As coiled mentioned. Mine(Lennox) did similar. Took out the thermocouple gave it a very light sanding to shine up the end the “sees the flame”( furnace tech dumbed it down for me.

Boom problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread