Hydraulic throwout bearing problems?

draxxus131

Established Member
Hi been awhile since I've made a thread on here, but I'm really hoping all the wonderful people on these forums could shed some light or give some very needed info for me.

I've been trying to chase down that annoying clunk that so many people have problems with, long story short it may be my TOB(throwout bearing).

Long time friend and practically a relative, swooped on by my house and wanted to see what's up and how everything has been. He is a certified master mechanic, probably the only honest one I know of.

While driving I'm having him listen for the clunk in the rear end. Back and forth we switch off driving so both of us could get a clear sense of what it is we're dealing with. Eventually we come to realize that the majority of the noise is coming from/around/near the TOB area of location, which greatly concerns me. MY CAR IS NOT DRIVEN HARD, really at all before anyone comes in and starts :burn: me.

I understand that this vehicle is equipped with a hydraulic TOB, my question for everyone here is.... Are there any known issues with the TOB in 2011+ Mustangs'? The whole time I'm thinking it most likely is the RUCA and the main noise area is the TOB which we can clearly hear.

Granted I have yet to crack the tranny off let alone really get under the car in that area. But this feels as if it is causing a shifting issue, getting sometimes into gear with the nibbles, my car already has a short shifter installed with the all fixings, so that area is pretty clear.

Perhaps there is a known issue with the Slave Cylinder?

Any information is greatly appreciated, as long as it is sensible.

Also I have a bunch of slack in the driveline, I have no idea what is up with that. A 1 pc DSS driveshaft is installed, but holy shit if your not extremely smooth with my car at the moment you can feel the slack in the driveline, at times you really need to let it settle to accelerate! Are the clearance tolerances off with backlash to cause this or is it something else. And no it is NOT a vibration.

Last edited:

bmyles

Established Member
I noticed when I put my driveshaft in the transmission actually has a lot of play in it. I could turn the output flange back and forth a fair bit before it would engage in either direction, so that's what I figure is making the clunking in my car.

dead man walkin

Established Member
I thought this problem would lessen with a 1 piece ds.. I have noticed excessive play. Sometimes when engine braking at high rpm the play lines up and bam jams you forward. . I don't know if this is excessive play in the mounts for engine and trans or actual driveline slop.. I can't say it's a "clunk" but after 3 years it has not been worse...

draxxus131

Established Member
I will concur that mine has not worsened over the course of 1 1/2 years of ownership. But it still is very annoying and definitely feels to be hurting performance, more in the sense of timing issue, and I don't mean powershifting either I mean all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread