HYDRO Bushing Removal, 96-98 Cobra's

Snagmaster

Established Member
READ ENTIRE POST BEFORE REMOVING BUSHINGS.

Ok, so after finding that ALL 96-98 Cobras use the "Hydro" style bushings I ordered mine from Prothane and set about to remove my old ones.

This relates to the front control arm only as the upper rear Diff bushings are solid rubber.

Pull the control arm of course, set it down with the Balljoint end facing you and the spring pocket up, just as it would be on the car.

The foreword bushing is a normal rubber type, you can burn them out as suggested but I took a 1-1/4 inch hole saw and cut it from the outside, my hole saw is a DeWalt and is two inches deep, I cut right through the bushing, pulled the sleeve out with vise-grips and pried/cut out the rest.

I then used a round wire brush on my drill to clean out the bore.

I drilled out the rear bushing using numerous holes, it is filled with some kind of water like fluid, yuk, I still had a lot of work to do to clean it out when I had a thought.

In the directions for figuring out what type of bushing you have it says to pry on the outside rear shell flange, if it moves around a bit this means that it's not actually part of the pressed in shell but is in reality a " Hydro " bushing.

I found that I could pry on the outside rear flange on the bushing and move it a bit, I got out a bigger pry bar and was able to pry the entire bushing out of the shell which remained in the control arm.

No burning or drilling needed, it's because the bushing contains fluid that it's removable this way, they can't vulcanize it to the shell as it would burst from the heat or maybe twist enough in the shell to leak.

At least I figured it out before I did the other arm.

And there you go.....

Snagmaster

Established Member
READ ENTIRE POST BEFORE REMOVING BUSHINGS.

Ok, so after finding that ALL 96-98 Cobras use the "Hydro" style bushings I ordered mine from Prothane and set about to remove my old ones.

This relates to the front control arm only as the upper rear Diff bushings are solid rubber.

Pull the control arm of course, set it down with the Balljoint end facing you and the spring pocket up, just as it would be on the car.

The foreword bushing is a normal rubber type, you can burn them out as suggested but I took a 1-1/4 inch hole saw and cut it from the outside, my hole saw is a DeWalt and is two inches deep, I cut right through the bushing, pulled the sleeve out with vise-grips and pried/cut out the rest.

I then used a round wire brush on my drill to clean out the bore.

I drilled out the rear bushing using numerous holes, it is filled with some kind of water like fluid, yuk, I still had a lot of work to do to clean it out when I had a thought.

In the directions for figuring out what type of bushing you have it says to pry on the outside rear shell flange, if it moves around a bit this means that it's not actually part of the pressed in shell but is in reality a " Hydro " bushing.

I found that I could pry on the outside rear flange on the bushing and move it a bit, I got out a bigger pry bar and was able to pry the entire bushing out of the shell which remained in the control arm.

No burning or drilling needed, it's because the bushing contains fluid that it's removable this way, they can't vulcanize it to the shell as it would burst from the heat or maybe twist enough in the shell to leak.

At least I figured it out before I did the other arm.

And there you go.....

Ok, I just did the other arm, it took a bit of playing with it but I was able to pry the rear hydro bushing out of the shell quite easily.

Best way is to put the arm in a vise, I used pieces of wood between the jaws and the arm to protect the arm from gouges and such, then pry on the outside edge of the larger rear bushing, it's part of the bushing not the shell which remains in the arm.

You can get it about halfway out, watch out for the water inside the bushing as it's between the bushing and shell, not a lot but....

Remove the arm from the vise and put the flange itself sideways in the vise, spray a little lubricant in the now upward facing half of the shell, wait a few minutes and then grasp the arm, turn counterclockwise or the other direction while pulling/pushing upward.

It comes right out and leaves a nice clean shell in the arm, I did the normal front bushing as described above and had both out in a half hour total with no burning or cursing whatsoever.

So much easier than burning or drilling them out, and way faster.

Enjoy

Snagmaster

Established Member
I used the Prothane kit # 6-217, purchased on eBay for $43.95 with free shipping.

And yes I did just go back and double check the part number, I've used energy suspension parts for decades but decided to try Prothane, great stuff.

Prothanes website has a page where you can input your car and it will display every part they make for it, I wrote down the individual part numbers and started hitting eBay for cheaper prices.

Prothane has great prices from the factory but I was able to save a few bucks on eBay due to unwanted/needed parts from private owners, every buck counts you know.

You can get the parts in red or black polyurethane, most on eBay are red though.

Enjoy

SnakeBitten07

Established Member
Snagmaster,

Thank you for posting this valuable information. Can you confirm your source that all 96-98 front lower control am bushings are of the "hydro" type? Also, the kit description says two lower control arm bushings, and two upper control arm bushings: what am I missing here?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread