Hypertech Power Programmer for 2001 Cobra

rboscht

Established Member
Has anyone used the Power Programmer on their 99 or 01 Cobra? If so did you notice significant gains. Thanks.

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
It gives no HP gains per Hypertech.. At least for the 01' Cobra. It does allow you to easily adjust your Speedo. If you have a gear change it will acomidate for this. It dos some other things too but I don't remember what else.. I called Hypertech a few months ago to see what kind of gains it does. They may have changed the program. Give them a call, they were nice enough..

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by rboscht
Has anyone used the Power Programmer on their 99 or 01 Cobra? If so did you notice significant gains. Thanks.

A friend with an '01 bought one and after installing it said that he was very dissapointed, said that his car seemed to LOSE power after the install.....

rboscht

Established Member
So would the best alternative be like a DiabloSport or SuperChips chip? How much h.p do those supposedly give? Also do they take care of the change in gears like the PowerProgrammer?

Kainsel

Established Member
Disagree with prior two posters, Hypertech is designed to re-program Ford's computer for maximum acceleration by adjusting air/fuel ratios and timing advance specs. Definitely gave my car better throttle response and more usable power.
Have stock 3.27 gears, now I can easily spin tires in 1st gear roll, before Hypertech it was hit or miss depending on street surface. Why do you think Hypertech would develop a product that does nothing for your Cobra? They have sold tons of these things for GM cars, especially with LS-1 engines (Vette and Firebird.)

rboscht

Established Member
I know Hypertech is great for GM cars....but the main reason for that has nothing to do with the Cobras. The rev limit on most GM cars is set at something like 5800-6000 rpm. So even a stock GM car can keep pulling way past the rev limiter. Now in our case, the rev limiter is set at 7000 but our car (even with all the basic bolt -ons) stops making power at like 6300-6500. This is one of the main reasons its one of the first mods for owners of a GM car but we dont need to change our rev limiter unless we have a major power adder.

Secondly our factory tune is pretty damn good. Ford didnt really leave alot of room for improvement with the aftermarket tuning of our chips. However, with the GM cars the tuning isnt that good. I talked with a rep from Superchips and he told me that they werent able to get alot out of the Cobra because the factory tune is that good..He said I would see around 6-10rwhp. I haven't been able to talk with someone from Hypertech so I dont know the exact numbers.

Anyway, its good to know that you definitely noticed a difference after you reprogrammed the computer. Do you have dyno sheet by chance of before and after the Hypertech? Thanks.
:burnout:

Kainsel

Established Member
Sorry, don't have a dyno sheet but here is the link to the company where I bought it:

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/cchapp2.htm

Hypertech "downloads new spark and fuel curves into the processor to achieve highest possible engine efficiency." Gains are 15 h.p. and 22 lb-ft torque. I believe it.

Very easy to install, just plug into the computer access port under the dash and wait about 15 minutes for program to download. You can revert back to stock programming when you take car in for service, otherwise the Ford techs will erase the Hypertech program.

StangD281

Established Member
I'm looking into it for my GT. I was told it is ideal for AOD's b/c you can change the shift points of the slushbox. It also removes the top speed limiter, timing advancements, & air/fuel adjustment. It seemed worthwhile for a GT since I will raise the rev limiter to 6500, and spark up the timing 2 degrees. For the Cobra, I dont know how effective it would be. Simply my .02

Users who are viewing this thread