I am out for the count....

Marc

Established Member
I have felt your pain. Year, and years ago, I drove across state lines, test drove a blown 95GTS, bought it, and drove it home. Not 500 miles and the motor went. I didn't even make it home, limped up to my buddie's shop. For 6 months, blew another motor and supercharger on the dyno. Warped a head. Replaced everything in that damn motor and it never ran right. It sat in their garage for 6 months. I finally sold it. It plagued the next 2 owners after me. But, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't own another mustang for 4 years...part of it was being overseas. If you must sell, do it. The urge to get back into the hobby might come back later on.

BlackStripes

Established Member
Things are looking different now, not that i have changed my mind, but after all these years doing this, I have to say:
- I was damn lucky to track my car without any issue for more than 3 years and 500 rwhp!
- I got a couple of offers to help me in one way or another, I guess, as long as you are not a dick, you make friends in this sport.
- If I come back, I will come back N/A in any way or another, not like I am gonna put a turbo in a bike hehe
- I might sale some parts like the turbos even if I sell the car.

I personally don't have any issue with a slow car, I LOVED my miatas! Not sure how i'd feel like driving my car with 1/2 of the HP though :D

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I personally don't have any issue with a slow car, I LOVED my miatas! Not sure how i'd feel like driving my car with 1/2 of the HP though :D

Well, you have Troy, Doug, and others on here that can speak of that.
Personally, sometimes I'm glad I've never had over 300hp.

BlackStripes

Established Member
Its not that I wouldn't do it, its that I always drove low HP cars that are extremely light... not necessary a Mustang :)

Oh, and when I say half of the HP, I mean... 250 - 260rwhp. I am assuming that my car without the turbos will put how much power did before forced induction, at the end of the day its a low compression 2V with turbo cams and a bullet proof drivetrain hehe... I guess I can have the underpowered with a nice chassis/suspension ... I wonder where would it land in TT..

HI-OCTANE

Established Member
You wouldn't happen to have a build thread on everything you did to your GT would you? Even though it would not be the most practical/economical thing to do, I plan to eventually put together a similar setup.

BlackStripes

Established Member
You wouldn't happen to have a build thread on everything you did to your GT would you? Even though it would not be the most practical/economical thing to do, I plan to eventually put together a similar setup.

I don't have thread ( remember we are talking about a 10 year built) but I need to write down something for the 'for sale' thread, that seems its coming soon

Chassis:
Custom long subframes
Custom 6 point rollbar

Interior.
All carpet, no rear deck/speakers/AC
Rear seat delete
Driver seat: Safetech RT1000 with a 6 point harness, extra Corbeau Forza
Passenger seat: Corbeau Forza
4 program selector for piggy bag computer
Boost, Fuel pressure, oil temp, water temp, wideband A/F gauges
Profec 2 - Boost controller

Wheels
Enkei RPF-1 17x9.5 in the front with Nitto NT05 with 200 miles
Enkei RPF-1 18x10.5 in the back with Azenis RT-615

Brakes
Wilwood 13x1.25 Road racing version in the front. Two used sets of rings/hats. I use one for the street one for the track. 1 set of new Coleman rings with custom width!!
Brake ducts
Ford 11.65" in the back

Engine.
Big paper weight:
Aluminator with 800 miles. 7 pistons are ok :)
2V Heads p&p, oversize valves, turbo cams and inserts in every cylinder
Custom exhaust all SS including cover for the diff and wrapped.
Custom double oil cooler

Fuel system (good for about 800rwhp)
2 Ford GT pumps
dual FPDM
Boost a pump
Bigger lines

Turbo kit
Custom turbo kit, all SS tubing, billet wheel turbos from Precision, this kit is not joke!

Front suspension:
SLA from Agent47, upgraded penske shocks double adjustable.

Rear suspension:
Ford IRS, with all the braces and bushings from MM.

Drivetrain:
TKO 600 RR version
Quicktime bellhousing
Aluminum flywheel and Stage III clutch from SPEC
Aluminum driveshaft.
3.31 gears.

Body:
01 Cobra front bumper.
03 Cobra hood

I think that gives you an idea of my car....

I am thinking that i might sell the turbo kit and driver's seat separated after i sell the car, we will see.

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Its not that I wouldn't do it, its that I always drove low HP cars that are extremely light... not necessary a Mustang :)

Oh, and when I say half of the HP, I mean... 250 - 260rwhp. I am assuming that my car without the turbos will put how much power did before forced induction, at the end of the day its a low compression 2V with turbo cams and a bullet proof drivetrain hehe... I guess I can have the underpowered with a nice chassis/suspension ... I wonder where would it land in TT..

When I blew the last engine, sold the blower and built the NA setup, I literally dropped 200hp (554rwhp to 355rwhp), but my lap times DROPPED because I was faster and more controlled through the corners and apex to trackout. I also got MORE seat time since I was not working on the car and that equated to making me a better driver.

To answer your TT thought... my 99 as it sat when I sold it spec'ed out somewhere in TTA if I recall correctly. And I knew then I was outgunned because even though I was faster than I had ever been before, I could not hang with bone stock C5Z06s (TTA=SpecC5Z06) on equal rubber. In retrospect, it would have been nice to de-mod the car a bit and be at the top of TTB. Which I could have easily done if I were building it for a TTB car on Hoosier As from the start. But since I was not, I screwed myself.

If you are going to rebuild it for TT, then figure out a class that you want to run in and build it to be a 18-19pt car on Hoosier As in that class.

I keep getting the itch to build a TTB Mustang, but the new exhaust on the 01 Cobra vert should be enough to satisfy my "Mustang urges" at the moment.

-Kevin

BlackStripes

Established Member
Oh, I can see my car being faster with 350rwhp, those 200rwhp come with about 200lbs from the nose of the car, so yeah, i can see that.... not sure about 250rwhp! :)

Yeah, I ran some numbers and my car with 250rwhp would land in TTB, actually... with 320 rwhp would also land on TTB. I seriously doubt that with 250rwhp would be competitive at all...

Granted, my car with a Coyote would be the perfect car to track.... my wallet has a serious issue with that!

I am thinking that the best solution would be park the car for several months and see if i can sell the turbo kit in the meantime

HI-OCTANE

Established Member
Did you have a stock shortblock before the Aluminator? If so how well did it hold up with the twins and open tracking? Also good luck with the sale if you decide to go through with it.

BlackStripes

Established Member
Did you have a stock shortblock before the Aluminator? If so how well did it hold up with the twins and open tracking? Also good luck with the sale if you decide to go through with it.

No, I had a built block before the aluminator, the big issue was to control the heat, once you do that, you just need a fat tune. Before that twins, I had an SQ SC with the stock block and lasted like 3 or 4 track weekends lol

thanks!

BlackStripes

Established Member
UPDATE.

Wow.... my last post was 13 months ago :)

So, my car sat for 7 months, everyday, I'd go to work and I will see it parked and I honestly didn't care. I got a GSX-R 750 and I rode it for a while, one day I ordered my racing suit to track my bike; I got a call back from the store, they didn't have my size and it was in backorder a couple of weeks... somehow it hit me, I said no thanks and I cancelled my order. Soooo, I got a call from a shop friend telling me that they were interested in doing a Coyote swap, they would charge me a flat fee that was pretty good. I told them that I was going to do it, but I needed to save the money to at least get all the parts, fast forward another 4 months, I got all the parts and the swap started. Today, I put another couple of hundred miles on the engine and I drove to Summit Point with my girlfriend. I met all the guys again.... wow what a feeling, I can't wait to go back!!!

I believe my first track will be in August, I need to fix 3 small items in the car first. :)

so... I am baaaaaack ;)

racebronco2

Established Member
I for one am glad you are back. I couldn't image what i would do without my car. I have tracked my exploder and my 09 corolla when the cobra was down.

You will need cooling mods for the coyote motor also. They get too hot open tracking.

BlackStripes

Established Member
Thanks Carlos, Yes, I learned quickly that Coyotes run hotter :) . I talked to another owner of a swap and he told me that I NEED the 170 degrees thermostat , that the coyotes run in the 200's stock. My car being an ex twin turbo, I had pretty good cooling, I kept my oil coolers, big radiator and the 03/04 cobra hood. I will box the radiator a little better if I can before my first event in the middle of the summer!

wheelhopper

Established Member
It was good to meet you at Summit. I think keeping a stock motor will keep the grin on your face. I have found that the more radical the car the less reliable it becomes. See you in August.

BlackStripes

Established Member
It was good to meet you at Summit. I think keeping a stock motor will keep the grin on your face. I have found that the more radical the car the less reliable it becomes. See you in August.

Yeah, It was nice meeting you and the rest of the guys.... Oh yeah, I was telling Rick that I used to put race gas in my car to be in the safe side :dw: and I used to get around 3.5 mpg LOL ... It's going to be a totally new experience, my goals are the same, but this time, weight is my enemy :)

man, I was surprised to see how many new Mustangs were at the track!! Really nice ! .. see you soon ;)

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Congrats! Sounds like you made a good decision. I am certain you'll enjoy tracking an N/A motor far more.

BlackStripes

Established Member
Oh crap... well, I am sure I will see you around !!

Yeah, that;s the thing with the Coyote swap, I was able to keep everything... well, I needed to get long tubes to make it fit but that's about it. I decided to change the internals of my TKO-600 to take more rpms, but that's about it... my suspension is the same :)

The question is now.... can I be in TTA... ?

BlackStripes

Established Member
Congrats! Sounds like you made a good decision. I am certain you'll enjoy tracking an N/A motor far more.

And yeah, not sure about a roots supercharger but my car would go from 200 to 550 rwtq in about 300 rpms.... enough to make every lap interesting :)

Users who are viewing this thread