I bought a 89 Ford Taurus Sho need advice

89sho

Established Member
Kinda a noob and cant pass up a good deal. The guy said it doesnt spark so it doesnt run now needs new tranny too. wondering if there is anything that anyone would reccomend doing right away to it?

thanks for helping a noob,

Garrett

godfather

CAPTAIN
Established Member
first thing ..how much did you pay for it ..2nd thing is that when you do get it to run lets hope that the motor is good ..whats wrong with the trans do you know?? hope you didn't pay alot because you bought this car blindfolded..good luck and let me know what's up:thumbsup:

89sho

Established Member
It comes with 2 extra coil packs, the engine that is in there has a ported and polished head. It also comes with an extra cv joint and ecu. Its still in Duluth MN right now im in the process of having it hauled down its a lot of $$ though. the other engine ran before they pulled it out too i guess. Needs a Crank position sensor but i asked him about the water pump and he said they tore it off and put a new gasket in there. Is there any other cars that i could put one of these engines in? like a RWD car?

godfather

CAPTAIN
Established Member
LHFQ.jpg
[/IMG]

cobra sho..look it up on the net...or shobra

Last edited:

yamahaSHO

Established Member
89sho said:
the whole reason that im buying the thing is because its only $100. I could sell the engine for more than that on ebay.:burn:

If you get it running, you *might* sell it for more than that, however, locally, I can get a complete (known good) motor for about $125.

The reason I am saying sell it as it will cost you WAY more than $100 in the end if you stick with it. As soon as my '92 started to suck money from me, I sold it and made $1,000 more than I paid for it, but I did have to put in a motor.

89sho

Established Member
yamahaSHO said:
If you get it running, you *might* sell it for more than that, however, locally, I can get a complete (known good) motor for about $125.

The reason I am saying sell it as it will cost you WAY more than $100 in the end if you stick with it. As soon as my '92 started to suck money from me, I sold it and made $1,000 more than I paid for it, but I did have to put in a motor.

yea i was thinking of just selling the whole thing because im having a hard time getting it down to mpls area from duluth MN. I planned on spending about 1k total to get a tranny, battery, interior, and everything else i would want to make it atleast a daily driver. how much do you think i could sell everything for if the body is in fair condition?

if you can get a motor for 125 then how much should a good mtx cost?

Last edited:

ez112

Established Member
This reminds me of when I bough an 89 FOR the transmission when the MTX in my 94 took a crap. I paid $300 for the whole 89, got my transmission, AND made a fair amount of money for the parts I wound up selling. The front and rear sway bars alone car net you $100+

ez112

Established Member
I would call it an all dayer. I took out my 94's FIRST and then the 89's. And knowing everything I did and having all the tools I needed it still took me a GOOD part of the DAY. I think I can do it again in a little less time.

But you have to suspend the engine to an engine brace or support and drop the cradle and from there remove the transmission. If all goes well (Your subframe bolts NOT stuck) then it's not TOO bad. While you're under there you can do alot of preventative maintenance. Like new Aluminum subframe bushings, the connecting rod bearings, and reinforced motor mounts. It would JUST be so much easier while you're down there.

Last edited:

89sho

Established Member
ez112 said:
I would call it an all dayer. I took out my 94's FIRST and then the 89's. And knowing everything I did and having all the tools I needed it still took me a GOOD part of the DAY. I think I can do it again in a little less time.

But you have to suspend the engine to an engine brace or support and drop the cradle and from there remove the transmission. If all goes well (Your subframe bolts NOT stuck) then it's not TOO bad. While you're under there you can do alot of preventative maintenance. Like new Aluminum subframe bushings, the connecting rod bearings, and reinforced motor mounts. It would JUST be so much easier while you're down there.

I agree that it is easier while your down there but lucky for me it already has welded motor mounts

Users who are viewing this thread