I can't spin the tires anymore??

2001stripper

Established Member
First, let me apologize for probably posted this in the wrong forum but I need some fast responses since I'm going to the track tonight. Last night I pulled the silencer out and put a K&N panel filter in my 1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport. I reset the computer for the extra airflow. Now the car won't even burn the tires from a dead stop launch. It pulls a lot better on the top end, but it seems the computer is pulling timing and torque down low. What can I do to fix this? Do I need an SCT tune now? BTW, the rest of the car is stock 4.6 SOHC. :??:

Jordan_J

Established Member
Wouldn't it be a good thing if your car can't spin the tires before you goto the track? I mean you won't have to worry about lose of traction anymore...

2001stripper

Established Member
Jordan_J said:
Wouldn't it be a good thing if your car can't spin the tires before you goto the track? I mean you won't have to worry about lose of traction anymore...

Well, normally that would be a correct statement but I think that it is also down on power in the low revs and that is not good. BTW, it is an auto.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Run it for a couple of days and see if it improves. Otherwise, put the silencer back in and reset the computer. If that doesn't help, put the stock air filter back in and reset the computer.

Work backwards and see what's causing the problem. If you are still having issues, get a code scanner and see if anything is going on with a sensor, such as 02 or MAF.

2001stripper

Established Member
05 Roush said:
Run it for a couple of days and see if it improves. Otherwise, put the silencer back in and reset the computer. If that doesn't help, put the stock air filter back in and reset the computer.

Work backwards and see what's causing the problem. If you are still having issues, get a code scanner and see if anything is going on with a sensor, such as 02 or MAF.

Thank you. I will try this.

Users who are viewing this thread