I can't Win..Prob with Instrument Cluster lights..

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I installed my new white AC face, and after I did this My Instrument clust lights no longer come on. Everything else works though. I checked the fuse, and it was blown, but when I replaced it they still did not work, and the new fuse did not blow. It is still good. What gives. The lighting behind my AC/Heater Control knobs does not work either. I tore everything apart agian, and I could not find a loose wire or any thin. Does anyone know what I could have done?

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Possibly another inline fuse somewhere that blew. Or maybe a bulb, not sure how they work but the lights might be wired in a Christmas lights fashion.

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
You need to look at a wiring diagram and find the power leads and test them. That should point you in the right direction. However, I'm betting you unhooked something when you tore everything apart. You'll probably need to tear it apart again and have another look.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by PowerCobra98
You need to look at a wiring diagram and find the power leads and test them. That should point you in the right direction. However, I'm betting you unhooked something when you tore everything apart. You'll probably need to tear it apart again and have another look.

My bud @ the local SVT dealership is getting it tomorrow @ 9:00am. I have taken everything apart 3 times now, and I have check all of the wiring harnesses and everything else around that general are, and still nothing. I think that something has came loose in the Fuse box. Because when I put the fuse up in it it feels a little loose. I am just going to let them handle it. I give up. However, I do appreciate the advice from everyone.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
It is fixed, and the dealership did it at no charge. I love FORD.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by PowerCobra98
Well...what was it??

tHE pARKING LIGHT FUSE WAS BLOWN. The lights worked when the light switch was fully pulled out, but not when it was only pulled out to the first notch. I did not know this because I always pull it out all of the way, and did not notice a difference. Well, to make a long story short. The fuse for the Instrument cluster runs off of the fuse for the Parking lights. But when the headlights are on the lights, parking and all run off of a different fuse. Confused yet?

So basicly power runs from the power point, to the Parking light fuse, to the parking lights, from the parking lights to the Instrument cluster fuse, from the instrument cluster fuse to the Instrument cluster. Very wierd. So the instrument cluster will only work when their is power to the Parking lights.

So When I replaced the parking light fuse and the instrument cluster fuse I was able to finally get it to work. Pain in the kneck.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Hell, when I think back about some of the vehicles I used to own ('40 Ford Sedan, with a Caddy engine & no fan; '46 Ford Sedan - you could cram a lot of kids in that car[!]; '57 Pontiac Chieftan - it was a running SOB [4-speed auto trans]; '49 Studebaker Pick-Up, with a '50 Caddy engine, and no IN-GEAR START lock-out on the auto trans [ when you started it and took the RPMs on up, you had better be in Neutral]; 2 different '65 GTOs [great engine]; anyway, what I want to say is "things used to be so damn easy to work on, and now you almost have to be an electrical & a mechanical engineer to do anything" - troubleshooting is practically impossible, for lack of knowledge & special tools!!!

If you're subtracting the years, that was back in the late '50's to the late '60's and early '70's! You might say I'm kind of old ... will turn 60 in a couple of weeks. BUT, I still love the Cobra! It's a beautiful car, and a LOT of fun to drive!

Dan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread