I checked out an SRT-4

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Since a good majority of Chrysler cars are designed, or given the OK by its german counterpart... the days of dodges being piles of junk within 5 years are over.

dont give mb that much credit. They are nightmares in themselves

1stSVT

Established Member
Even with a turbo or s/c, I think the SVT Focus would have a hard time beating either the Dodge or the Suby.

With the Vortech SC they are putting close to 245HP to the wheels. The dyno pics are on here somewhere. Of course the Vortech is somewhere around $4,500. With this mod I don't think the Foci would have a hard time keeping up.:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

svo_dave

Established Member
Even with a turbo or s/c, I think the SVT Focus would have a hard time beating either the Dodge or the Suby

Dude, I can beat the scuby's (from a roll anyways, lol) with a naturally aspirated SVT. The don't put down much more than I do from what I hear (stock) and their heavier. Of course when taking off from a stand still its a complete different story.

beecha91

Established Member
Race my WRX :rockon: I ended up trading in my SVTF for a WRX and I havent looked back since. Tell me if you can add a 40 dollar manual boost controller and run high 13s in the SVTF. Not gonna happen, the more and more I put into it the more it turned into and sounded like a Hon DUh :nonono: Ive gotten a lot of deals on parts for my scoobie, Ive spent 3g and done all the work myself and the car now runs mid 12s all day long. Now I am gonna do the suspension, I will say it will take some work to get a wrx to outbrake and outhandle a stock SVTF. Oh and theres nothing like AWD drifting around a corner, you guys should try it sometime :p

beecha91

Established Member
Originally posted by svo_dave
Dude, I can beat the scuby's (from a roll anyways, lol) with a naturally aspirated SVT. The don't put down much more than I do from what I hear (stock) and their heavier. Of course when taking off from a stand still its a complete different story.

Try racing a bone stock WRX from a stop you will lose all day long in a SVTF. Racing from a roll is all you have in a SVTF cuz its so slooooow from a stop. and Yes stock WRX's put down like 165 or so stock but thats to ALL the tires mind you, not to your aimlessly spinning front tires. Also a SVTF is supposed to be 2700 or so lbs correct with different options Im sure it comes out to be a lil more than that. My WRX weight 3000 lbs so I look at coming out a ahead with AWD for only what a 100 lbs more?? Come on now...

:read:

1stSVT

Established Member
Beecha you said,

Try racing a bone stock WRX from a stop you will lose all day long in a SVTF

But, svo_dave said,

Isn't that what svo_dave is saying??:shrug: :shrug:

Plus, the SVTF was built for a different reason. Once again it was built to not blow by people from street light to street light. It was built to give you one helluva autocross car for under $20,000. I believe the WRX is around $23,000. Right? I may be wrong.
So, once again I will say throw in the Vortech supercharger in the SVTF for about $4,500 and it will have no problems keeping up with the Suby or the SRT-4.

My opinion I think the SRT-4 with the LSD will make the Suby look pretty bad. Hell I would take any of the 3 cars. They are all great cars. It just depends on what you want.

Good Thread guys keep it coming:rockon: :rockon:

SilverOH3SVT

Jettai Master/Texas LEO
Established Member
I have yet to come across any willing SRT-4's... But I can guarantee from driving one, that I have no chance against one acceleration wise. I've driven all 3 cars personally, and I still would rather own the SVTF. The only good thing on the SRT-4 interior wise are the seats and guages. Everything else looks cheap and plain. The WRX is OK, but the one I was looking at for $26k, I'll pass. For under 20K, The SVTF is the best buy in the trio, IMHO.

Plus, I really don't think it's fair to compare 2 boosted cars with a non-boosted car. Lets add some boost, and limited slip on the SVTF, then re-shuffle the deck, and then see what happens.

svo_dave

Established Member
Keep in mind, my car weighs 2500, and puts down about 170 whp, thats more than a stock scooby, at like 500 lbs less. They may smoke me off the line but when we get going I am playing catch up very quickly. But like I said, thats a stock subaru, I know there turbo'd and once you put mods on them then they go much faster.

beecha91

Established Member
Even with any kinda of forced induction and LSD, the SVTF isnt gonna run awesome numbers. 13's probably, but I ran that with my stock scoobie with just a 40 dollar manual boostcontroller. I spent a grand on my SVTF, buying the offroad pipe, catback, cai, engine mount, underdrive pulley, and the car still ran 15's. Itd take another grand plus installition for the LSD and plus some more money for a drag radials so your not spinning at the line. After spending well over 2 grand on the car your still lucky to hit high 14's without any power adder. Instead I cut my loses and sold the car and bought the subie. Then theres my buddy who has a stage 1 SRT4 and runs 13.1's at 103 on a stock tire, now thats impressive. He spent not even 500 bucks on the car and on a drag radial it WILL run a high 12 pass. :eek: Now if you wanna see a nasty car to race from a roll, thatd be it :) He's the soul reason I had to hurry up and do more mods, so he would continued to see my taillights. So far he still does, come spring he should be in the 12's no problem, He wanted to see how low he could get on stock tires. So it's gonna be a fun coming year.. :rockon: Just remember
Racing from a roll is like masturbation, no matter how good at it you are its not real sex :-D

Well good luck guys!!!

Don-

svo_dave

Established Member
YEs racing from a roll is useless, if your a dragracer, but if you use the focus on road course were it belongs, the launching isn't important at all. Also there are quiete a few na SVTF in high 14's right now, and next season we should see low 14's high 13's n/a. Tom's turbo SVT is running high 12's on street tires with less boost than neon, so these cars can get up and go, his best 60' tome is 2.2, just image with some slicks what that car would run. Nothing against subaru's, there good cars, but comaparing how a n/a 4 banger takes to mods with how a turbo 4 takes to mods is kind of ridiculous, obviously the turbo motor will make way more hp cheaper.

beecha91

Established Member
Well shoot me for being a drag racer at heart. I couldnt stand racing a 15 second Focus. Dont get me wrong I LOVED taking on ramps at 80 mph in that thing, but it grew old fast. I needed something that was quick to begin with, didnt torquesteer like a mofo, had grip in the rain or snow, and took to mods easily. When I would take my stang to the track, Id see all these 12 second WRX's and would be in awe how lil mods and they were in the deep 12's. I still get 300 miles to the tank even making power im making now. With my Focus the milage was always shitty for some reason. I still loving to be able to cut 1.7 60fts on stock tires, with some more power I sould be cutting 1.6's. I know full well how quick turbo tom made that SVTF, but I didnt feel like spending 6grand plus taking the time of going to NC to get it tuned and installed. Also on top of that needing a LSD and sticky tires to perform well.

svo_dave

Established Member
Yah, you don't need to go to NC anymore, and I figure you can get a SVTF for 15000, then spend 7000 on turbo and LSD, and you got a fast FWD, but your right for drag racing and what not. I was not trying to be a ass, just trying to point things out that some people don't realize, I knkow this car wasn't made for dragstrip, thats why I got a turbo AWD to do the drag racing with.

Barracuda

Established Member
Originally posted by 1stSVT
With the Vortech SC they are putting close to 245HP to the wheels. The dyno pics are on here somewhere. Of course the Vortech is somewhere around $4,500. With this mod I don't think the Foci would have a hard time keeping up.:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

For $4,500 extra I could pretty much get the Stg4 TurboXS kit. 368 HP and AWD, that's just nasty. BTW, I only paid $23,000 TT&L for my WRX. I paid about $19,000 for the SVT Focus (2002 they were more popular then). We could argue for days about upgrading, but no one here can deny (honestly) that there are more HP adding parts for the WRX than there are for the Focus. And I dare say cheaper also.

Hey guys, I'm not knocking the SVT, I own one. I just happen to like my WRX better. None of us drive to work on an auto-x course. Most of us like to give people a run at the stop light or stop sign. My main point is that I'd rather have a WRX for everyday driving/street racing (street racing = bad, always go to the track). Plus I visit the strip from time to time. Even racing from a roll, the SVT is most likely going to be playing catchup (stock vs stock).

But in auto-x, the SVT is the winner unless a WRX is highly modded suspension wise.

beecha91

Established Member
"For $4,500 extra I could pretty much get the Stg4 TurboXS kit. 368 HP and AWD, that's just nasty. BTW, I only paid $23,000 TT&L for my WRX. I paid about $19,000 for the SVT Focus (2002 they were more popular then). We could argue for days about upgrading, but no one here can deny (honestly) that there are more HP adding parts for the WRX than there are for the Focus. And I dare say cheaper also. "

Ive spent $3,000 on my WRX, and I am a TurboXS Stage 4+ (with a better top mount intercooler). Its a really nice set up, I did all the work myself :) I cant complain :D

Don-
:beer:

Last edited:

Primaris

Established Member
Originally posted by beecha91
...Instead I cut my loses and sold the car and bought the subie...

Since you sold your Focus why are you posting here? I'm sorry you feel the need to validate your latest purchase, but please do it on a Suby forum. They will be able to answer all of your questions about how to fix the bad synchronizers that will be visiting your trans soon.

I'm also sorry you do not have the skills to race in a direction other than straight ahead. Perhaps you should borrow a go kart and learn some fundamentals about turning left and right so you can explore the WRX's limited handling capabilities. However, I do commend you for buying the WRX as the all wheel drive helps lesser drivers get out of trouble.

beecha91

Established Member
Originally posted by Primaris
Since you sold your Focus why are you posting here? I'm sorry you feel the need to validate your latest purchase, but please do it on a Suby forum. They will be able to answer all of your questions about how to fix the bad synchronizers that will be visiting your trans soon.

I'm also sorry you do not have the skills to race in a direction other than straight ahead. Perhaps you should borrow a go kart and learn some fundamentals about turning left and right so you can explore the WRX's limited handling capabilities. However, I do commend you for buying the WRX as the all wheel drive helps lesser drivers get out of trouble.

Like I said im a drag racer at heart. Turning corners fast does nothing for me. I have a Mustang on skinnies with no front sway bar wanna talk about sucky turning?? Is is illegal to post since I no longer have a SVTF, I still had one, itd be different if I came in here talking it up if I never had one to begin with. Have fun driving your focus in the winter on those tires, let alone in the rain, your not gonna go far. I love being able to push my wrx in any weather condition, rain or shine. It hooks regaurdless. I take my wrx offroading from time to time, something your lil focus will never understand. I had more a tuff time shifting in the focus than I do in my wrx, so theres not a problem there. Tho the trans are a weak link. I needed something I could drive in the winter and not fear of spinning outta control aimlessly. I already have a summer car (the mustang) I dont need another car that sucks in the snow :rolleyes:

Last edited:

1stSVT

Established Member
I find it interesting that I said if I spent $4,500 on the SC then the Foci would have no problem keeping up with the Suby and the SRT-4. But all non SVTF people on here then started to say if they spent $4,500 on upgrades then they would be around 368HP. BUT, you forgot the point of me saying why I spent the money in the first place. To catch up with the Suby's MSRP. SO, after all this I spend $22,000-$24,000 (depending on the trim level) and have 250FWHP. You spent $22,000-$26,000 (depending on ur trim level) and you have 225 at the flywheel.

That was my point-same money spent and the Foci has more power. Also, if you don't like taking on ramp and off ramps going 80 MPH and you are a drag racer at heart why did you waste your time buying a Foci in the first place?:idea:

Anyways this Forum is called SVT Performance which means it is for SVT owners and people who like SVT's. So, if you don't like the criticism your getting from SVT owners then why post? If I went to a Suby or Mopar site and said I'd rather have a Foci I would get my A$$ handed to me.

Love the replies guys!! Lots of reading if you aren't up to date on this thread.:read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read:

JoeJoe

Established Member
:burn: :burn:

Like I said, it is kinda fruitless to talk smack when comparing a NA motor to a Forced induction motor. We all know that the SVT can be made fast......fast enough to see a WRX in the rear view, but it will take some good upgrades and a turbo.

Personally, I still like buying American and the SVTF for me was very affordable at $16k new.

When and if Ford decides to put forced induction on the SVTF, then this conversation will be more fun..

Joe

:sleeping:

Barracuda

Established Member
Originally posted by 1stSVT
I find it interesting that I said if I spent $4,500 on the SC then the Foci would have no problem keeping up with the Suby and the SRT-4. But all non SVTF people on here then started to say if they spent $4,500 on upgrades then they would be around 368HP. BUT, you forgot the point of me saying why I spent the money in the first place. To catch up with the Suby's MSRP. SO, after all this I spend $22,000-$24,000 (depending on the trim level) and have 250FWHP. You spent $22,000-$26,000 (depending on ur trim level) and you have 225 at the flywheel.

That was my point-same money spent and the Foci has more power. Also, if you don't like taking on ramp and off ramps going 80 MPH and you are a drag racer at heart why did you waste your time buying a Foci in the first place?:idea:

Anyways this Forum is called SVT Performance which means it is for SVT owners and people who like SVT's. So, if you don't like the criticism your getting from SVT owners then why post? If I went to a Suby or Mopar site and said I'd rather have a Foci I would get my A$$ handed to me.

Love the replies guys!! Lots of reading if you aren't up to date on this thread.:read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read:

Which part of my text confused you? I own BOTH the SVT Focus and WRX currently. And as I said, the mod arguement can go on forever. Most people that bought a SVT Focus bought it because they wanted it (myself included), not because it was the only thing they could afford. So saying that spending $4500 more on the SVT Focus to make it almost equal in performance and equal in price is a strawman arguement that goes no where. I nearly take on and off ramps as fast as my SVT Focus now. The 5 to 10 mph difference is almost not noticeable.

Street Racer

Established Member
I just want to put a couple of things out there. Vortech's supercharger (satin with Aftercooler) is selling for LESS than $4000 and after talking with them they say that with a little more boost and the right tunning 300 HP is very reachable. But like a couple of people said this argument is stupid. Your comparing F/I cars to N/A cars, and Im sorry but with the SVTF being a N/A car we dont fall that far behind! I cant wait untill next summer because your going to see alot more foci with F/I and I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of :cryying: coming from the competition! IMO, the only way I would take an SRT is if they gave it to me for free (and even then I would give it to my wife), as far as the Suby ............. The STI is the only one I would even consider buying! Just my .02 for the day! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread