I finally broke down and installed.....

SVTyballz

Established Member
......... a Steeda Tri-ax shifter. I have never been bothered by the stock shifter. I thought it worked fine. I looked at the stock one as being tons better than a stock t-45 shifter but only a little short of a Pro 5.0 which is what I always put in other stangs. I have been debating ordering a Pro 5.0 in the last few weeks but I would put it off for a different mod. Well, the other day I was on the phone with Steeda ordering their quick release clutch quadrant. After I asked how much the price on the quadrant is with my SVTOA discount, I asked how much a shifter would be just for kicks........ Well, he came back with 169.00 . (only about 10.00 less than what others are selling it for, but ALOT less than Steeda direct) I said what the hell, send it. I figured if I didn't like it I could always sell it. Well guess what?!?!?! I justgot home after driving with the new shifter for about an hour...............I 'm keeping it!!! This thing is very very nice!!! I'm officially on the Tri-ax bandwagon. Sorry to any Pro 5.0 faithful, but I like this Tri-ax better. I have read threads about the noise that it makes, but with the blower whine combined ith my loud and nasty exhaust, the small amount of noise coming from the shifter just adds to the whole package of wonderful sounds. But the main reason to have it, is the shift action. It is short and precise just like they advertise. Makes running throught the gears even more fun than before. If there is anyone with doubts about the Tri-ax or anyone torn between a Pro 5.0 and a Tri-ax. Call Steeda, give them your SVTOA number and bolt this thing in. You won't be sorry. Later, sorry for the length........

gary

Rwick7

Established Member
I think the shifters are almost identical. This is coming from experience with a Tri-ax on a T45 and a PRO 50 on a T56 though.

SVTyballz

Established Member
Good point. I haven't had a pro 5.0 on this t-56 . So I can't say that that wouldn't be a good combo. The debate continues........

gary

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I was like you, I had experience with the Tri-Ax on my 2000 GT, so I decided to go with the 5.0 on my Cobra. I have to say, the 5.0 is better than the stock shifter, and seems more quiet than the Tri-Ax - but I prefer the shift action of the Tri-Ax better. It seems to have a stronger centering spring that puts it right under 3rd. With the 5.0, it does get it CLOSE to center, but I have found times I had to wiggle it a bit to get it dead center to get it into third gear when I am downshifting (very annoying to me). I am more than willing to put up with extra tranny noise to get a better shift action. I predict when I get done with my mod list (just lacking exhaust now) I will swap out my 5.0 with a Tri-Ax.

jrh99

Established Member
I had the triax on my 99, and it was a world of difference from stock. But this 03 shifter really impressed me. For a stock shifter it's pretty notchy. It definitly sits too far forward though and the throws are way too long. I have a feeling I'll be getting a pro 5.0 and MGW handle from santa. I just figured I'd switch it up for the 03, so I could make my own decision on which is better.
I'll let you all know what I think after the 25th.

Users who are viewing this thread