I finally found MY tick!!!!

wojowojo16

Established Member
well its been there for a LONG time, never really got worse so I didn't worry about it too much. Well the last 6 weeks its been getting louder and today I figured I spun a bearing, lost a valve guide, something horrific.

Anyway, I pop the hood and the noise is coming from the top of the motor, dead center, I swear its the alternator...

So I pull the belt off the motor, crank her up, and guess what, without the blower spinning and no alternator (aside from my exhaust), she's purring like a kitten!!!!

So, I put the belt back on, got my stethoscope (I'm an EMT by the way), crank her up, here the tick, put the steth on the blower, sound like a blower, put in on the alternator, tick, tick, tick, F'n TICK!!! 22,000 miles on my car and I need an alternator to make this frickan tick go away.

So now to my questions.

1 - anyway to fix the one I have. (I'm guessing no, it probably has a shot bearing)

2 - What kind of alternator would you replace it with? OEM? Duralast from Autozone?? Bosch from Advanced? (I have a commercial account at advanced and can usually get stuff pretty cheap there)

Last edited:

grant007

Established Member
yeah im in the same boat.. i was so relieved that it was just the alt, but havent replaced it yet..im thinking about getting another OE one. i also would like to know which one ppl prefer.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
ya an alternator isn't going to dig in your pocket as much as other items that could have caused the "tick". The ones from the part stores are usually good.

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
I think thats my problem right now too. I recently listened to my motor,and heard a loud obnoxious ticking noise. Put my head to each valve cover,and heard nothing,but right in the middle,is the tick.

sprayedcobra

Established Member
same thing on my 01no body beleived me when i said it was coming from the middle, it sounded like the alt or in the intake manifold, but glad to hear its probably just my alt

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
We have a local Starter and Alternator rebuild shop around and even though the guys are good they're not much cheaper than buying one from Autozone or Advanced. So to answer your question...yes you can have one rebuilt but you might as well save you some time and just buy one.

Smoked SVT

Established Member
huh...(thinks to himself)...Ive had a low ticking sound since I bought my car. Ive been in denial as to what it is and I hope it is also the alternator. Id go check now but my neighbors arent too fond of my lt's, o/r h, and 2 chambers @ 1:00 am. I shall check tommorrow.

01 Venom

Established Member
100% Pay the money and go with a FORD BRAND NEW UNIT. TRUST ME, nothing else is worth the money, everything else is junk and cant be trusted. I went through 3 of them before I spent the money and did it right.

stangkid

Established Member
Do not buy a alternator from Autozone they are refurbished junk i went threw six of them and got tired of returning them so i bought one from ford and haven't had a problem with it.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
Have an alternator shop go through it. My guy just through a bearing in mine for $20 after I spun the underdrive pulley off it and damaged the bearing. Took him 10 mininutes while I hung out. He's a friend FYI.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
All this great information after I buy the duralast....

Figured it would be good with the warranty they offer!?!?!?!?

Dude you will be just fine. Take it from someone who actually worked there, most of those parts are really good. Someone mentioned that thay are all refurbished.....well they arent. The Gold are brand new and they are serious about the Lifetime warranty. I saw very few products with defect come back [and for the smart asses out there that was working 50+ for almost 2 years] and about 80% of the ones that came back were for install error by DIYers

coolguy10786

Established Member
I've gone through two autolite's and one napa alternator in the last year and a half. I would go with one from ford. Just do not buy a napa one they are junk.

wojowojo16

Established Member
Installed the duralast (it was a refurb), tick is gone and car is charging....

It wouldn't be a big deal but with the procharger it is a BITCH to put on in, have to pull the procharger outta the car.

Users who are viewing this thread