I had forgotton

RiceDaddy

Established Member
how much gear oil stinks. I was changing the transfer case fluid in my Blazer tonight. It uses 90 weight. I hate the smell of that stuff.

:(

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
try changing a transmission or rear end in a big truck, because it is usally burnt up, nasty nasty smelling, although synthetic smells better than mineral. Is what I hate even worse is hot antifreeze.

RiceDaddy

Established Member
Are you talking about 18 wheelers?

I went round and round with the 350 tranny in this truck with a leaky pan and elec. torque converter switch. I don't know why more manufactors don't put transmission drain plugs in the pans from the factory. That's a must have on any auto car in my opinion.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
yeah, but trucks. I don't mind not having a drain plug in certain applications, but others it is just a pain in the ass, I can see not having one on a transmission in case of a scrape. Burnt ATF is another thing that really really sucks, we had an E4OD die in the middle of summer and we just kept driving it because noplace would rebuild, just replace with a 3500 dollar new one. That was nasty stuff when we got home.

RiceDaddy

Established Member
Yeah on the 4x4's i like a recessed drain plug, so it doesn't rip out on the rocks. Also don't like the aluminum pans for off-road. Too easy to crack. You're definately right, burnt ATF is nasty.

What part of Kansas are you at. I grew up in KC.

RiceDaddy

Established Member
I'm not too far then. Due south of u about an hour and half south of Liberal.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
yeah not too bad, where at in TX. I can step off of my back porch and shoot a rifle and the bullit would land in CO. But I'm only like 3 miles from I-70.

Users who are viewing this thread