I just broke a halfshaft, did i break a halfshaft

ViperKiller04

Established Member
right now it is 2 in the morning and my 2004 cobra is sitting at the ford dealer so i can talk to them in the morning. The car is pretty modified and dynoed at 490 hp 470 tq. I launched at the track heard three loud bangs got some wheel hop and now the car doesnt drive. I have some questions is this my halfshaft if not what is it. When you push the car about to a tire rotation you hear a clunk come from the passenger wheel and if you look at the passenger wheel you can see grease on it from under the car and the car will not drive at all. If this is my halfshaft what is the dealer going to do will they fix it, they were cool with a bad tranny from my 460 hp 2003 gt or will they try to charge me this will be my first halfshaft. the car itself has 26000 miles and is coming up on its 2nd birthday. the car has a catback exhaust, midpipe with no cats, steeda air intake, ported blower, tune and a 2.8 pulley with the pulley cover. What is going to happen give me good news if I will have to pay what can i expect. I am going to check replies in about 4 hours at 6.30 when i get up to go to the dealer. thanks guys

whitey03

Established Member
Definitely a halfshaft. I doubt the dealer will warranty it. Expect $600+ for them to put a new one in (parts and labor). Look for a used one in good shape either in the market here or on ebay. Then do the labor yourself. Should be out no more than $150.00.

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
Sounds like what happened to me when I broke a half-shaft. The car wouldn't move and I could start it and leave it in gear with my foot completely off the clutch and the car would stay running. I have a used half-shaft lying around, that is in perfect conditioin if you need it.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i dread the day this will happen to me but i bet it will eventually

something i don't understand tho -

if only one breaks, why does the differential not still cause the other drive wheel to turn and move the car? the other drive shaft is still intact :shrug:

thx

ViperKiller04

Established Member
Well I went to the ford dealer looks like they are going to be cool and fix it but i wont know for sure until monday. This sucks so much I feel violated and dirty

1SVT&1GT

Established Member
Dern, that is one heck of a nice dealer you've got there.

Friend of mine broke one, he got a pair off ebay and got the tools needed from Autozone and did it himself.

SpectorV

Established Member
I stoped going to the track due to I kept breaking stuff. I dont plan to take this car there ever... to expensive :(

Users who are viewing this thread