I knew I could do it!

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
Nope. Its 56mbps (i got the brand new system) and the range is like 1200 feet (thats a lie). But i can walk anywhere around my house and it will work. And when i put the wireless box outside the range is almost infinite. I have an external network port on the side of my house. So here i am, sitting on a chair outside in the shade. It doesnt get anymore relaxing than this

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Cool you are using 802.11a or 802.11g stuff is new and the standards have not been ratified yet.

With 802.11a which runs in the 5-GHz frequency range with a 520 mA radio with a -85 dBm sensitivity and 5 dBi omni-directional antenna normal distances are as follows.
Indoor:
60 ft @ 54 Mbps
130 ft @ 18 Mbps
170 ft @ 6 Mbps
Outdoor:
100 ft @ 54 Mbps
600 ft @ 18 Mbps
1000 @ 6 Mbps

You can go with a higher gain smaller V and H antenna and increase your range significantly. The only problem is you really will never be able to achieve half that throughput because 802.11 standards use CSMA/CA for media access and they have allot more packet overhead and media control information transacting on the media. I have been deploying 802.11b which is 11mbps stated and the highest throughput we can achieve is aroung 4 mbps p2p.

What brand btw I don't recognize that client adaptor.

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
oh well then. i guess i was wrong about 1200 ft. Im using the 802.11a. Thats a netgear, as is all my stuiff. :D

BBriBro

Established Member
I know this is way off topic, but since you guys seem to know networking, where can i buy a better antenna for a Linksys router. I too have a laptop with a wireless card, but my range is pretty poor, Linksys says there are antennas avail, but they do not make them, so they cannot recommend them. Any input? I called the local Best Buy, but they didn't even know you could buy aftermarket antennas for these things. The router is Model # BEFW11S4 V.2

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
BBriBro getting into antenna design is very complicated and there are allot of variables. The easiest way to increase your range is move your ap into an open area away from metal then bring the signal straight to ground and nothing will help you there. If you want you can look at the attached document on antenna's and this will describe the different types.
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/witc/ao350ap/prodlit/agder_rg.htm

Depending on where you put the antenna will determine what azimuth and elevations sizes you want. The original antenna from linksys should be a standard 2 dBi Dipole with a 360 degree azimuth and somewhere around 70 degree elevation. Every 3db gain is equivalent to doubling power. Depending on the actual type of connector on the linksys will depend on what antenna you can get. I just went to http://www.pcconnection.com/ and did a search on antenna and found allot of different types.

If you have any specific question since these thread might bother the moderators you can PM me and I will try to answer.

Users who are viewing this thread