I know I'm dumb

Woodys2000

Run 9's or STFU
Established Member
OK guys this has been said a thousand times but what exhaust setup is used for our Turbo cobras? I am asking about the setup I believe Jason puts on a lot of them. The bullet style mufflers. I am home for a couple weeks and would like to get the Cobra straight while I am back.

TRBO VNM

I have used the magnapacks and the stingers. I liked both. typically with a turbo setup you want a straight thru muffler. whether people say it is for less backpressure/power or just the simple fact of sound. I just finished a single hellion car with a magnaflow catback and it was very quiet at idle and even revving. not factory quiet, but not too much louder than that. I didn't drive the car and it wasn't tuned when they picked it up with a trailer, so I am not sure how it would sound at WOT.

the reason most also say to use a straight thru muffler is because the turbo acts as a muffler itself. so again, based on sound.

the magnapacks and stingers have a nice rumble at idle, but not too loud. if your setup has the BOV and the wastegate recirculating, WOT you still hear more of the turbo than exhaust, but the magnapacks you will probably hear more than the stingers. at least that is what I experienced.

I called you back and left a message.

Last edited:

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
You want something straight through, like the Stingers, that is what I have.
I think the Magnapacks are the same as well, as are Magnaflows but not positive. Other guys will chime in.

Woodys2000

Run 9's or STFU
Established Member
I have used the magnapacks and the stingers. I liked both. typically with a turbo setup you want a straight thru muffler. whether people say it is for less backpressure/power or just the simple fact of sound. I just finished a single hellion car with a magnaflow catback (chambered muffler) and it was very quiet at idle and even revving. not factory quiet, but not too much louder than that. I didn't drive the car and it wasn't tuned when they picked it up with a trailer, so I am not sure how it would sound at WOT.

the reason most also say to use a straight thru muffler is because the turbo acts as a muffler itself. so again, based on sound.

the magnapacks and stingers have a nice rumble at idle, but not too loud. if your setup has the BOV and the wastegate recirculating, WOT you still hear more of the turbo than exhaust, but the magnapacks you will probably hear more than the stingers. at least that is what I experienced.

I called you back and left a message.

Thanks bro, I can't wait to get something done with my setup. Where do you guys get tail pipes for your custom exhausts? I like the big Bassani tip but want to put in the mufflers I choose. I called Bassani and they wanted me to buy a bolt on tip WTF????

TRBO VNM

Thanks bro, I can't wait to get something done with my setup. Where do you guys get tail pipes for your custom exhausts? I like the big Bassani tip but want to put in the mufflers I choose. I called Bassani and they wanted me to buy a bolt on tip WTF????

there are a lot of the tips that bolt on. I think bassani does, MAC and magnaflow all bolt on from what I remember. the borla are welded on. bolting just offers ease of adjustment.

most custom kits are just that. the shops doing it may use whatever tips they have available and they weld them. even the bolt on tips can be welded once they are adjusted properly.

Last edited:

Woodys2000

Run 9's or STFU
Established Member
I think I may just buy a bassani setup so I don't have a cheesy bolt on tip under my car, I know no one would ever know but I would and it would bug me.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I could be wrong, but didn't think the magnaflows were straight thru. maybe they are, but definitely quiet.

Magnaflows are straight through and quiet....magnapacks are chambered and loud. I have the flows and they are quiet till you nail it. I had the borlas on before and thought they sounded to loud and raspy on the turbo set up un-catted.

Last edited:

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
I had the Bassani catback on mine first, it was way too quiet for me. I swapped to the Stingers, quite happy with it now.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Magnaflows are straight through and quiet....magnapacks are chambered and loud. I have the flows and they are quiet till you nail it. I had the borlas on before and thought they sounded to loud and raspy on the turbo set up un-catted.

To clear a few things up in this thread since there is alittle confusion on what Magnapacks and Magnaflows are. BOTH Magnaflows and Magnapacks are straight through mufflers. They are not chambered. They are actually basically the same design. The thing that makes the magnapacks louder is because the muffler is smaller. The smaller the muffler is, the louder it will be. Hence why a Magnaflow is quieter then a Magnapack. The Pack is significantly smaller. If you took a Magnaflow muffler and looked through it, you can see right through to the other end, its just at a slant because that style muffler is offset, but its still "straight through". If you can see through it, its straight through. A chambered muffler is something like a Flowmaster or MAC muffler.

You most definitely want a straight through muffler in a turbo application. (Magnaflow, Magnapack, Bassani, Borla, Dynomax Race Bullet are all good) Straight through is less back pressure for the turbo which will help spool up and power. Just like running an open downpipe. You will spool quicker and make more power because you are getting rid of some backpressure.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
To clear a few things up in this thread since there is alittle confusion on what Magnapacks and Magnaflows are. BOTH Magnaflows and Magnapacks are straight through mufflers. They are not chambered. They are actually basically the same design. The thing that makes the magnapacks louder is because the muffler is smaller. The smaller the muffler is, the louder it will be. Hence why a Magnaflow is quieter then a Magnapack. The Pack is significantly smaller. If you took a Magnaflow muffler and looked through it, you can see right through to the other end, its just at a slant because that style muffler is offset, but its still "straight through". If you can see through it, its straight through. A chambered muffler is something like a Flowmaster or MAC muffler.

You most definitely want a straight through muffler in a turbo application. (Magnaflow, Magnapack, Bassani, Borla, Dynomax Race Bullet are all good) Straight through is less back pressure for the turbo which will help spool up and power. Just like running an open downpipe. You will spool quicker and make more power because you are getting rid of some backpressure.

Thanks cuase I just saw pics of the magnapacks and saw they were off centered so I assumed the were chambered. (my bad thats why you should never assume) I have the magnaflows and they are pretty quite even with out cats.

Edit just reread your post....I have small straight through mufflers. i thought they were magnaflows not packs. They are pretty quite. Which ones do i have:
jetta005fc7.jpg

jetta003cy6.jpg

jetta001jq8.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread