I know it heresy...but I have to ask (smaller wheel question)

funair02

Established Member
Hi all...

I am moving to an area with all dirt roads. Because of the condition of the roads (esp. after 4in of rain), I don't think 'kooks on the 18s will perform well. They maybe even dangerous.

I know someone who has 07 wheels, 5 lug, 17in - will these fit our trucks?

I can figure out what tire will work. I hate to change out the wheels, but I think I need M+S tires.

Thanks!

funair02

Established Member
Are these 07???
Im not sure...
thanks!

wheels.jpg

funair02

Established Member
OK I did some research and they are the 5x135 pattern. I heard the guy wrong -- they are 97 wheels - not 07.
It seems the lug nuts are smaller...
So all I would need are the 'narrower' lug nuts?
Is that right?

Thanks

funair02

Established Member
So I bought the wheels. I just had them blasted with walnut shell. Now they are ready for the powdercoat. I think I am going to get the chormelike powder.

If anyone wants pics of the progress of this bastard in the making, just ask and Ill post them :D:D:D

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
They will fit but you'll have to enlarge the holes in the older wheels to accommodate the larger studs. 12mm vs. the 14mm studs your Lightning has. Don't know if you can reuse your lugs or not though.

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
They will fit. The studs are the only difference. Like our wheels, you can run 99 wheels on and 04 and vice/versa.The lug nut's are the only difference.

funair02

Established Member
I tried the wheels on today, they fit with no modifications. All that is needed is a change of lugs to the ones without the domed top. I could use the old lugs, but the center caps wouldn't fit.
I think I am going to go with a 265/60/16. The tire is virtually the same diameter as our stock 18s.
What is interesting is the wheel and tire combo will be around 10lbs lighter per wheel (these wheels are really light - they may weigh 7-8 or so pounds). I am surprised you all who race don't use a combo like this. 40lbs less of unsprung weight is a lot.
Here is a pic of one after the walnut shell blast.
(this is a fun cheap project :) )

pics012.jpg

funair02

Established Member
Dropped the wheels off at the powder coater today. I am going with the chrome w/clearcoat.
Cost 65/wheel.
Pics next week.

funair02

Established Member
Hi all.
So I went with the powder chrome with clear coat. Man, they look good.
Not too bright - unlike real chrome, but with a touch of silver.

Next to find tires. Anyone use General Grabber UHPs? (just thought Id ask) :)

Kiaandwheels004.jpg

Tex Arcana

Established Member
I had those on my '97 XLT, they're okay but you will notice the difference in the road in terms of grip and turn-in. Be careful.

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
Looks good to me especially since it has a purpose for using these wheels. Gott take care of your stuff and you know what it takes to get it done.

GOOD LUCK BROTHER..

funair02

Established Member
Last edited:

funair02

Established Member
Country roads...take me home...

Hi all...

Well, if you ever wondered what 97 F150 16in rims on a Lightning would look like, well you are in for a treat.

I mounted and balanced Nankang's FT4s 255/65/16 today. I put them on. Here is how they perform.
The look --- well it's much better with the stock 02s. It doesn't look bad, but it is really different. Not sure if I like it yet. It did raise the ride height about 1-1 1/2 inches.
The ride --- Wow what a difference. It rides like a new F150 1/2 ton. It is significantly smoother and takes bumps and humps 200% better. I don't cringe anymore when I go over the bad railroad tracks down the street. I would suspect this set up would let ball joints, wheel bearings, shocks and steering wear significantly slower. Handling is actually only affected a little bit. I was really suprised how good it still handles. It isn't as good with the stockers, but it is within 80-90%. One thing I have noticed is that I only need to play the radio at 1/2-2/3rds the volume I used to. These tires are quiet.
Hooking up -- well, they light up pretty easily, but the stockers do to. I still am confident to downshift when dry. They track true.

Verdict - Not too bad. It will serve my purpose well. I may even keep them on longer. I really like the peace of mind that if I hit a curb or a deep pot hole that I am not buying a new wheel and tire. And, if I do, the tire is $90 and the wheel is virtualy free.

Ill give you a long term test after I pull a trailer a few times 50 miles over interstate and dirt roads after I move.:beer::beer::beer:

Truckwith16s001.jpg

Truckwith16s002.jpg

Last edited:

funair02

Established Member
Just an update - I went on the interstate today. 212 mile run used 13.1 gallons. Speeds were 70 + + + and more +.

That is 16 MPG. I know I am being a retard :pepper: talking about gas mileage concerning our trucks - but this is a lot more than the 13.5-14 I was getting. a 12% increase is pretty significant, especially from just changing wheels out.
:beer:

funair02

Established Member
Actually that sounds like a great idea.

I am going to the dump on Saturday to get my truck weighed. Then Ill do a few runs with my G-Tech with the 16s and then the 18s...Ill post my results.

My L does feel a little faster, especially in second. Ill need to time it to really see...

Dark_5.0

Established Member
Nankang tires are the worst tires on the planet. My brother had some on his 300zx. He took a sharp turn going into a gas station and the front tire came off the rim. He got the tire replaced under warranty. 6 months later the same thing happened on the other side. Needless to say we had them removed.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
you now get 16mpg on hwy? I get 16mpg hwy at 70+. If i stay at 65mph, i've gotten 17.5 hwy.
Smaller the rim/tire, less mass rotation. how much is your speed off?

funair02

Established Member
you now get 16mpg on hwy? I get 16mpg hwy at 70+. If i stay at 65mph, i've gotten 17.5 hwy.
Smaller the rim/tire, less mass rotation. how much is your speed off?

I respectfully will have to call BS on that.

The EPA estimates for our trucks is 13 and 16. This is with 100% gas, not the 90/10 we are mandated now by the feds.
10% ethanol equates to a reduction in gas mileage of 5-10% - making the estimates to be around 11.5 and 14.5

The 11.5 and 14.5 was exactly what I was getting before these lighter rims. I did get, when I bought the truck in 2003 13 and 16 before the ethanol mandate.

So, with the stock setup I have now - it is right on what I should be getting. I am also at sea level which does help with mileage, but just a little. I find it odd that guys here who have mod after mod state they getting better than the EPA estimates for a stock motor. Please enlighten me how this happens? The only way you can do this is to run lean -- and lean isn't recommended for a forced induction motor. It is a general fact if you are pumping more air into the system, you are burning more gas...

Also, the 255/65/16 tire is only .3 of an inch taller than stock. My spedo is dead on according to the radar gun speed signs they have around here.

I have my g-tech now. I am going to test tomorrow on my day off :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread