I love VIR.....I hate the rain.

rtomlin

Member GCassidy Fan Club
Established Member
You just watch wise guy! I'm teaching you that slow ass Corvette line!! Miata's will be passing you, Beeotch!!! :lol::lol::lol:

;-)

Speaking of slow ass Corvette... I passed a C6 Z06 last weekend at Shen and your various tales of whoopin' up on Z06's came to mind... but only briefly as I had to pay attention to the brake zone before entering the Karussel. The "glory" was especially short lived as I proceeded to point by an extremely well driven Miata who just appeared behind me as if the hand of God had just placed him there on the back straight - and yes, I lifted :banana::pepper::D

Rick

Yes, I realize that I really only passed the Z06's driver 'cause there just ain't no way, tight Shenandoah or not, that my lil' old 2-valve, stick axle, can't use Bruce's CV joint vent Mustang should keep up with a Z06. Period. The fact that I passed a Ford GT several laps later was nothing short of miraculous... not because I was going so fast (the guy couldn't drive worth a damn), but because he actually pointed me by after only 2 laps on his bumper. I will say that I thought the flames shooting out his tail pipes when he let off the throttle at the end of the straights was a nice touch.

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I've had some full tread Toyo Proxies RA1 for my rain tires, but only got to use them once. There wasn't enough water on the track at VIR when I was out. And I've been lucky at most of my other events (knock on wood). I did spin a bunch in the wet back when I used BFG KD rain and shine.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Speaking of slow ass Corvette... I passed a C6 Z06 last weekend at Shen and your various tales of whoopin' up on Z06's came to mind... but only briefly as I had to pay attention to the brake zone before entering the Karussel. The "glory" was especially short lived as I proceeded to point by an extremely well driven Miata who just appeared behind me as if the hand of God had just placed him there on the back straight - and yes, I lifted :banana::pepper::D

Rick

So I guess the Miata passed the Z06, too. I'd love to have been in both cars to hear them.
Summit Point Shenandoah, the OTHER great equalizer. ;-)

David Hester

Established Member
Hoosier makes a couple of great rain tires.
Dirt Stockers (Now Super Chain Link) have been (are) used for years.
d.gif

I used these years ago and worked GREAT. You have to have water on track to make them live, though. Wore out a set in just a few laps, after rain quit and track started drying out.
These are my new favorite rain tire.
c.GIF

Used them last summer at Barber in Birmingham. Pouring rain laps were only off 2:06 vs 1:49 dry. I spent a lot less time sideways than the cars around me.
John Berget is a great guy to do business with for used tires. I've bought tires from him for 15-20 years. Used him for everything from formula Vee and formula Fords to the Mustang I race now. Make great practice tires. I've got 2 sets of his tires in storage right now.
Race report from Last Summer at Barber
Posted: 09 July 2007 at 9:05am | IP Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was a pretty good weekend.

Only half our group showed up for practice in the rain Saturday, and only about 2/3's made grid for the race. No problem. Less cars to keep up with. Had a corner worker buddy ask me afterwards, "Are you faster or did everyone else slow down."
Bob Mayer in a Corvette told me I wasn't spinning wheels where he, a GT-1 Porsche, and another A/Sedan were all over the place. I don't know who was more suprised when I dove inside him into turn 1.
Turn 6 was pretty exciting, too. Spray, spray, spray, brake lights- go where the spray wasn't. Yee Haw!
Lotsa fun.
Sunday was exciting at the start. A 914-6 spun coming out of 1 and was clipped by an A/Sedan Mustang , and I think, another 914-6.
The yellow car was still spinning as we past the turn 1 station. I was between 2 cars with the Porsche broadside-driver's door, right in front of me. A Mustang just in front and to the right headed for the grass and the BP Corvette beside me braked hard. I managed to slip between the, now rolling backwards 914 Porsche and the slowing Corvette (Thanks, Barry). The rest of the race was pretty much looking for a place to pass the Corvette and the 36 Camaro I had raced with in the rain. Saw a puff of smoke out the right bank of the Camaro about lap 9 and managed past the next lap under braking into the corkscrew.
Some fun, you bet!
Thanks to everyone, especially my crew chief, Linda, for a great weekend.

edit After looking at the tape, a couple of changes. Look like the yellow 914 was STILL spinning as I passed it and the 911 in the grass changed to a A/Sedan Mustang. It happened pretty quick and the pucker factor was pretty high. Glad Barry and I are still friends. Looks like I didn't give him much room.
Dave

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread