I need some help 2003 cobra dies after 25 min of driving

lycan8566

Established Member
I have a 2003 cobra that starts fine and runs good untill the temp gets about half way witch is normal temp on this car i guess, and the car will just shut off while im driving it no matter how fast or slow im goin. Somtimes it stalls for a couple of sec then turnes back on while it is moiving and some times i have to come to a complet stop for a few min untill it will start again. It will only go about a block or two depending on how long i let it sit there.Then the idle is really ruff. I just bought the car about a week ago, it was tuned for race gas and nitro, and the guy said he would detune it for pump gas. I was wondering if he messed up on the tune because all he did was pull the chip out tune it and put it back in so he says. I bought the car in tennesse and live in texas, could the elevation be doing it since its tuned for up there. I talked to a dyno/tuning place and they said that it would fix my problem. If anyone knows anything about this or heard of it I would like to no what to do.

Last edited:

03 silver cobra

Established Member
Check the chip to make sure it's in all the way, and that the contacts are clean. Has the Pcm been updated with the latest software?

lycan8566

Established Member
No Not yet it pulled a másair sensor code finally i have one orderd so hopefully this will fix it.Ghe sensor craped out on me today so i think thats what was causing it i hope. We flashed the computer and it fixed it for about 2 hours .

01yellercobra

Established Member
A bad MAF can cause all kinds of issues. However, removing and re-installing a chip does not retune it for pump gas. You need a new tune written for that.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

2002BLGT

Established Member
could be chip connection from what you are describing or just bad chip , I would go to the dyno tuner and get them to flash it instead of using the chip and you wont have to worry about chip connection anymore

lycan8566

Established Member
Ya i figured that i would have to get it retuned ,that just pulling it and Not puting it on the dyno and doing it the way he Did it Not to work right. The chip is all the way down i even taped it down just to be sure. Well ill get it retuned and prob just get a new chip or programer just to make sure .Thnks for all the help and ill post back what the results were .

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd get a programmer. I like mine because I also use it to clear codes.

lycan8566

Established Member
well your not going to believe what was causing it. The power wire going to my boost a spark was rubing on the back of the motor grounding out ,all that because of one wire.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
well your not going to believe what was causing it. The power wire going to my boost a spark was rubing on the back of the motor grounding out ,all that because of one wire.

Sweet..easy fix...running like a champ now?

Still a question about your race gas tune though right??

01yellercobra

Established Member
I believe it. It's amazing how many problems one little thing can cause.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
I was gonna say you may have a bad/loose ground somewhere. Had a similar problem with a 99 Trans am. At least you got it!

lycan8566

Established Member
sorry for the late post i have been out of town working. Ya im still going to get it tunned so i know exacually what it has or doesnt have.I still have to buy a bottle the guy diddnt give me one when i bought it.and i need to get a better clutch its starting to slip a little at a spec stage 2,The guy i bought the car from ran a 10,10 in the quarter so i cant wait to drive it with out the clutch slipping.

Users who are viewing this thread