I need some help. I want to buy a Cobra.

sssSnake 01

Established Member
I think there will always be a Ford in our budget and garage.

The 03 and 04 should be impressive. GM is bowing out as the F-bodies are gone after 02.

I think we will see the Cobra price go up as it stalks the Vette.

Meanwhile the HP will continue to rise in the affordable GT class.

This will be possible when the only thing left to race is another Ford. Motivation from a marketing standpoint to either buy in low and modify or pony up the money up front for the factory tuner that will be the Cobra of tomorrow.

The Z06 has raised the bar and if Ford ever hopes to have a world class sports car on par with the Z06 they have their work cut out for them.

These are interesting times to be in the market for a Muscle Car.

The next few years will have the died in the wool Cobra fans scrambling for a trade about the time they get all of their power adders paid for.

True Cobra fans are not about the stock car and cruising they are in a blood thirsty quest for more power.

Let's face it the reason people buy Ford's is it is performance that they can afford to buy and work on.

If you won the lottery tomorrow would you continue to mod the Cobra or buy a Hennessey Viper at 800 HP or perhaps a tuner Vette with a 427?

The true blue would probably mod the Cobra just to break it off in the GM crowd.

However, many would be on to some new board talking about how they are paying to have a twin tubocharger put on.

I love my Cobra but I cannot get past wanting to Kick every race worthy car on the streets @$$.

I am hopeless (37 year old but still 17 at heart)

SVTNICK

Established Member
I agree with you ssssnake...I have always loved the Stang for that fact alone....its after market and that the fact I can spend maybe a few grand, and see alot of improvement. You cant get that on a Viper without spending an extra 30000. It is an affordable performance car that can with some mods take on the exotics without breaking the bank.

SVTNICK

Established Member
BTW

WHich was the whole reason why Lee Iacoca and the Fairlane commisison came up with the idea of the Mustang in the first place. The affordable sports car that could hold its own (with alot of class) against the worlds best and some of the most expensive sports cars.

01Snake

Established Member
Well put sssSnake 01. I've had a little bit of everything in my garage at one time or another. Although I had the budget for a new Vette this year, I opted to buy a Cobra and keep my payments realistic. $700-800 on a 24 month lease, is a lot of cash per month for a car (I pay just shy of $500 for the Cobra). I would love to see Ford take the Cobra to the next level, but sadly, the price will climb to that level as well. Most buyers at that level are older (midlife crisis) owners who are trying to recapture a piece of their youth, and only a handful are true enthusiasts. Those enthusiasts get a lot of publicity in the magazines because they have a lot of cash to throw around. The Vette is a perfect example. Try finding a used 6 speed Vette. Less than 10% of all Vettes made, have a stick. I think everyone, at one time or another has longed for a Vette, and you can bet that if any of us came into a large sum of money, we would buy one. Meanwhile, back at reality...Most of us here are real enthusiasts, with real jobs (under six figures), and we desire real cars that perform better than average. We have mortgages and student loans, as well as plans for the future. I'm all for more power and better handling, but I just hope Ford and SVT don't lose focus on their core group of enthusiasts.

SVTNICK

Established Member
I really think as the evolution of the Mustang continues, I really dont think Ford and SVT will forget the history of the Mustang, and why we buy them. The Mustang symbolizes the sports coupe and has always had a version for everybody. (been that way since 64..was one of the first ....with the different options and packages you could pick) I think if Ford keeps inline with the Mustangs history and what I think is its purpose (the affordable Muscle/Sports car), the price should be no different then what it is today. Can anybody see us paying $45000 for a Cobra? Or even $35000 for a GT?? (yes..because of inflation maybe, if the economy goes further into the toilet..???) Hopefully Ford will continue to remember why we buy them and why they have sold so many of them.

oh yeah ..and Ford, can you please work on getting us a 500 HP engine that gets 50 MPG??????...LOL

Users who are viewing this thread