• Kobalt 11-drawer

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grandmarq86

Established Member

straightliner1

Established Member
Start small (affordable) because eventually you'll find yourself caught up with the other guys and trading either one of those in on a Snap-On or Mac box the size of most houses and up to your eyeballs in debt with your tool guy.

Been there done that, got the T shirt to prove it!

2004 Culebra

Established Member
If the Kobalt has the top workbench area then the kobalt as long as is not too high. Other than that I picked the Craftsman because you have the name, quality and work area on top...

Dixie96Cobra

Established Member
Craftsman....make sure you get the ball bearing drawers. I don't know if they still make them without, but the ball bearing are so much smoother.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
craftsman are not as good as they once were, we have boxes from years ago and the metal is twice as think and that was there lower grade box at the time and its better than the top grade they sell now which feels so flimsy

Misfitflesh

Established Member
Even for starters I wouldnt get either of those. 18 and 19 inches deep is easy to tip over with something that size. I would just start out with a nice tool cart and that will last you a year or 2 easy.

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
Go with the Craftsman.

Or buy this one from me
untitled-4.gif

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
IMO.....the box isn't going to make you money. The tools in it are. Don't sweat bullets and spend a load on a nice box yet.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
IMO.....the box isn't going to make you money. The tools in it are. Don't sweat bullets and spend a load on a nice box yet.

A nice box for nice tools. Here is the first tool he can put in the bottom of the box:
mixedbreed02gt

DEVIL

Established Member
I use a Kobalt, and it has done well for me. Only problem was one of the drawer rails, and a phone call got me 2 new ones, free. Stainless is really nice, and a little white oil will keep it new forever.

gtmustang88

Established Member
Yeah, for about 3 or 4 years when I worked at a dealership, I had a craftsmen 3 piece box. Got it for about 300 bucks or so, and I had that think packed full of tools. I have sense moved onto an engineering career, but I would say just start with something small because you will want to get a mac/snap on/matco box if you plan to make a career out of it.

Dixie96Cobra

Established Member

Yeah, for about 3 or 4 years when I worked at a dealership, I had a craftsmen 3 piece box. Got it for about 300 bucks or so, and I had that think packed full of tools. I have sense moved onto an engineering career, but I would say just start with something small because you will want to get a mac/snap on/matco box if you plan to make a career out of it.

I would have to agree. Even if you know you are going to make a career out of it, there are more important things to spend your money on during start-up. If you have tons of capital to blow, then I might think about it, but the box that holds your tools isn't going to improve the quality of the work that you do.

Mika

Established Member
Agreed on what most of you folks have said. Start out small, and if you decide to like it, work your way up to a decent box. Unless you got $50/week to blow on a box alone, I'd stick with something cheap. I'd try to find the biggest box you could afford with the most surface area on top. You will understand how important that it is later.

Mika

Users who are viewing this thread