I put the Lightning to work over the weekend

URBAN COWBOY

CITY SLICKER
Established Member
Over the weekend I helped a friend move to a new house so I put the “L” to work and she did just fine. It’s nice to have a performance truck that you can also use like a regular work truck. The trailer itself weighs about 3000lbs and it was packed from the front to the rear with furniture. I could tell the weight was back there, but she did fine pulling and stopping it. She never went into boost once, even on the hills. This is one hell off a truck guys!

Trailertow.jpg

Last edited:

czen1028

Established Member
Hellz YA!!

I love having a dd work truck that works hard and plays harder. Not bad either when she goes 0-60 in in a few sec. too!!!

Man I love Lightnings!!

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
Hellz YA!!

I love having a dd work truck that works hard and plays harder. Not bad either when she goes 0-60 in in a few sec. too!!!

Man I love Lightnings!!

Sigh.... I hope I don't miss my L too much if I trade it in on a new 2011 f150... :eek:

URBAN COWBOY

CITY SLICKER
Established Member
That's a load on an L.

How's that Sid? From everything I've read, The Lightning is basically Fords towing package with a blower. Everything about this truck is heavy duty except for the rear leafs. I've read article after article about using the Lightning as tow vehicle to take your car to the track or ect. The load I was pulling probably was around 5000lbs and she had no problem with it. Hell, I've seen pics of Lightnings towing lightnings on this forum. The total weight of that package had to be over 7000lbs. These guys mentioned no problems. Fords regular 5.4L 2003 F150 is rated at 7600lbs and it doesn't have near the heavy duty parts the Lightning has (transmission, brakes, oil and trans coolers, ect). I read the only reason it can tow more is because of the rear suspension (leaf springs).

Last edited:

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
How's that Sid? From everything I've read, The Lightning is basically Fords towing package with a blower. Everything about this truck is heavy duty except for the rear leafs. I've read article after article about using the Lightning as tow vehicle to take your car to the track or ect. The load I was pulling probably was around 5000lbs and she had now problem with it. Hell, I've seen pics of Lightnings towing lightnings on this forum. The total weight of that package had to be over 7000lbs. These guys mentioned no problems. Fords regular 5.4L 2003 F150 is rated at 7600lbs and it doesn't have near the heavy duty parts the Lightning has (transmission, brakes, oil and trans coolers, ect). I read the only reason it can tow more is because of the rear suspension (leaf springs).

From my experience the only thing that limits a Lightnings tow capacity is the weight of the truck itself. Being a regular cab 2wd truck, it is very light for a full size pickup. But a heavy load can push these relatively light trucks all over the place. A trailer brake controller definitely helps under braking, but a heavy load can still do some pushing & pulling at other times.

Users who are viewing this thread