I stripped my serpentine belt, upgrading to thumper tensioner

jdub2003

Established Member
Well to make a long story short I was running a porsche and started hearing that dreaded rubber flapping noise, so I pulled it over checked everything out sure enough the serpentine belt was coming in a thin strip. They used the laser to see where the belt was coming off at etc and thought it might need spacers or bushings, I am pushing 750 whp with a procharger at 20 lbs of boost, I dont want this to keep happening, my shop advised the thumper single bolt tensioner 375.00 piece will keep it perfectly straight and prevent my belt issues, It will be here tomorrow and we are going to re tune with the new belt and new tensioner. I am excited, the tensioner appears to be top notch. Im excited.

Anabolic

Banned
man I hate centrifigual blowers, My 00' Has one. Belt's a pain in the ass. unless your tensioner is the exact allgnment problem then the new tensioner wont do anything..
make sure there all aligned properly

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Thump tensioner here and lots of power on my setup and I haven't shredded a belt in 1.5yrs.. My setup is aligned good, and I have a 15% O/D crank pulley so lots of wrap...

jdub2003

Established Member
1.5 years is the business. Your ride is sick man. He has a brand new laser alignment machine so they will be dead on, (hence why they work on it) he said it was starting its slip at the ac unit. I love the procharger, it makes power how and where I want it. The set ups arent as efficient if you are not 100% up to date on them and proficient and very skillful on setting everything up. The tensioner was for sure the weak link, it did not need any spacers or bushings.

Users who are viewing this thread