I think I cracked my diff cover! Help

bubbaflaat

Established Member
So i went to the drag strip last week, all went well. Not much wheel hop or anything except for the last run which was pretty late at night, when doing the burnout i got quite a bit of hop so i let out of it right away. It hopped a bit on the launch then spun and ended up getting a terrible time, so i quit for the night thinking the track was hashed from being cold. Brought my car in the shop(where i work) to put the tire pressures back to street pressures and notice diff fluid leaking from the diff(I saw it drip once). So i put it up on the lift and there is oil everywhere. But I can't find the leak. It looks like its coming from the upper part of the rear mount where the diff brace and the mount connects. I cleaned it all off and will investigate further tomorrow. But i'm pretty pissed being i just rebuilt the diff in dec. It has 4.10s, MM poly front and rear diff mouts and a steeda(i think) brace. I am almost certain its not leaking from where the cover seals to the case as all of that is dry. So my question is where are people cracking the diff covers?? Is it possible to make just a small crack by the upper rear mount that i just can't see cause the brace is in the way? Thanks

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
they usually crack near the bolt holes. my leak was easy to find . when i broke it the hole was large enough to fit my hand into. new cover and brace on there now

bubbaflaat

Established Member
Is there any upgraded diff covers? How much are diff covers going for nowadays? I can't beleive i have to take that diff out again...

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Fore (not out yet) for $450 or so. Used diff cover are going for $100-$150

wlg101190

Established Member
I destroyed mine about a week ago, and even had the Billetflow IRS Cover. I never even noticed until I saw a little oil on the floor, and I took the brace off. The cover was in about 5 pieces and I ended up just buying an OE one and putting the brace back on.

black01mustang

a new z06 will be mine
Established Member
When mine went it took out the whole rear. There was no wheel hop and It happened when I did a hard shift into second, the cover broke shattered into 4-5 pieces. When the cover let go it stretched the diff housing so I had to replace everything.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Look carefully to be sure there is a crack. It could be leaking from a bad or poorly installed pinion seal. From what I've seen the cracked covers are pretty obvious.

bubbaflaat

Established Member
Took the rear mount partially off today and found a crack by the upper rear mount bolt hole... Anyone got an extra cover laying around?? I need one ASAP!

laruei

Established Member
LPW makes one

Sir it looks as though you have this installed.. i just made a thread about the one i picked up. It hasnt arrived yet but what was your overall impressions? Quality? Strength compared to stock? Worried about it breaking?

Thanks! :banana:

StacyStangz

"Supercharged Stacy" - PR
Established Member
The Fore Precision IRS diff cover will have an O Ring to provide the improvement of the leakage issue the stock diff cover may have!

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
...It looks like its coming from the upper part of the rear mount where the diff brace and the mount connects...

Did you have a BF IRS Brace and it still cracked?

Edit: Just realized how old this thread is, but answer if you're still around. Hope your problem has been resolved :beer:

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Someone here used a diff cover off ebay. Different than stock or Fore. Let me see if I can find it

Jefe

Established Member
Thats the one I was talking about. Who installed that? Hows it doing?

Users who are viewing this thread