i think i locked up my 10th

machnem

Established Member
so a friend and me recently bought a wrecked 10th. it had whipple stickers in the engine bay and remanence of a methanol injection. so the heat exchanger was leaking we filled it up. the car wouldn't start so i pulled the starter off and took it to the auto store they tested it and it was bad. then the guy who wrecked the car called and said dont put fluid in it because he took the whipple out and put the eaton back in he kept the intercooler. so at this point we took the eaton off and it was fill to the top with antifreeze. i just drained the oil pan and oil and antifreeze came out. the question is the engine ruined or is it salvageable, rebuildable or do i need a new short block and wouldn't this situation be similar to blowing a head gasket?
the car was running fine till we put the antifreeze in this could happen to anyone right how was i supposed to know he took the intercooler out?
what the hell should i do?:shrug: :??:

he bought the car brand new from the dealer ship. he put a whipple on itthen wrecked the cobra then insurance said he could take all the aftermarket parts off. he did so and put all the stock parts on. eaton, injectors, pulleys ect.but not the I/C under the eaton! when i got it shipped home i drove it off the trailer and straight into my garage. ran fine and sounded perfect. i noticed there was no fluid in the I/C expansion tank by the radiator expansion tank. so i put fluid in so the eaton wouldnt of gotten ruined. well then today the original owner called and told me what was done to the car and told me not to drive it bc he kept the I/C with the Whipple when he removed it. this is after i tried to fill up the I/C expansion tank yesterday. so i took the eaton off and there was antifreeze fulled straight up to the top of the intake. the car never ran more than 2 secs bc it had no air just drowned in water. any reason i couldnt just get all the water out and just do an oil change on it? any help or thoughts would really help me out.. thanks

Last edited:

mike.b

Established Member
sounds like you bought a mess, i hope it was a REALLY good deal.

you might clean up your first post a bit and make it clear whats going on. lots of run on sentences that many knowledgeable people will not respond to.

cbr repsol

Established Member
Sounds like someones elses problems u got into. I would do a compression test for starters and report back your #s. if u got good compression that will help u rule out bad head gasket. Check the intercooler for cracks cause if that was leaking it can let coolant in the motor. Also can u turn the motor over with a ratchet and the 14mm allen on the crank? To make sure its not locked up?

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member
Ahh good thing you fixed it because now people can actually read it lol. So he removed the intercooler attached to the eaton but installed the eaton anyway?

machnem

Established Member
he bought the car brand new from the dealer ship. he put a whipple on itthen wrecked the cobra then insurance said he could take all the aftermarket parts off. he did so and put all the stock parts on. eaton, injectors, pulleys ect.but not the I/C under the eaton! when i got it shipped home i drove it off the trailer and straight into my garage. ran fine and sounded perfect. i noticed there was no fluid in the I/C expansion tank by the radiator expansion tank. so i put fluid in so the eaton wouldnt of gotten ruined. well then today the original owner called and told me what was done to the car and told me not to drive it bc he kept the I/C with the Whipple when he removed it. this is after i tried to fill up the I/C expansion tank yesterday. so i took the eaton off and there was antifreeze fulled straight up to the top of the intake. the car never ran more than 2 secs bc it had no air just drowned in water. any reason i couldnt just get all the water out and just do an oil change on it? any help or thoughts would really help me out.. thanks

cbr repsol

Established Member
he bought the car brand new from the dealer ship. he put a whipple on itthen wrecked the cobra then insurance said he could take all the aftermarket parts off. he did so and put all the stock parts on. eaton, injectors, pulleys ect.but not the I/C under the eaton! when i got it shipped home i drove it off the trailer and straight into my garage. ran fine and sounded perfect. i noticed there was no fluid in the I/C expansion tank by the radiator expansion tank. so i put fluid in so the eaton wouldnt of gotten ruined. well then today the original owner called and told me whOk I unsat was done to the car and told me not to drive it bc he kept the I/C with the Whipple when he removed it. this is after i tried to fill up the I/C expansion tank yesterday. so i took the eaton off and there was antifreeze fulled straight up to the top of the intake the car never ran more than 2 secs bc it had no air just drowned in water. any reason i couldnt just get all the water out and just do an oil change on it? any help or thouts would really help me out.. thanks

Ok I understand whats going on now. I would go get a shop vac and suck out all the water possible . Change the oil and filter...pull all the plugs out and turn it over by hand...once it turns over by hand with ease I would then crank it a few times once u get the starter back in. then put the plugs back in and try to fire it up. Seriously u need a intercooler..if u do get it running I would not drive it and go into boost what so ever. Get it running cause antifreeze can corode cylinders and bearings.

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member
I would assume you could just drain it all and do an oil change. The only thing is that antifreeze is bad for bearings because it completely removes all the oil off. I doubt the motor locked up that fast but you never know. I would go about it the way you planned.

machnem

Established Member
okay guys i seriously appreciate the replies. ill get as much liquid as i can out and do what you all said. i have nothing to lose at this point anyways.

machnem

Established Member
okay i got a 14mm allen and i hand cranked it over so its not locked up. i drained the oil earlier today and when i cranked it over a little bit of water/antifreeze started coming out of the oil pan hole where i didnt put the bolt back in when draining the oil.. good thing right? so now im going to pull the coils out get them dry and keep cranking over by hand and using anything to soak up the water. think im safe on the engine?

machnem

Established Member
got the plugs out and i can see some water when i look down into the head with a flash light. any idea on how to get the water out from here? thanks

cbr repsol

Established Member
got the plugs out and i can see some water when i look down into the head with a flash light. any idea on how to get the water out from here? thanks[/QUOTE
They sell cheap hand pumps with a hose at autozone for like 5 bucks. The hose should fit right down the spark plug hole,then pump as mich as u can out. Then u should be good to go.

46stang

Established Member
With the plug out, place a long skinny screwdriver in the spark plug hole. crank the engine by hand until you see screw driver go up as high as possible, which means the piston is at TDC. Then use an air compressor with a long tip on it and blast air down into the cylinder. The collant and water will shoot back out at you so be prepared for it. Do this to all the cylinders at it will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread