I think I may have transmission issue, or maybe not..I'm stumped

Datman

Established Member
I cant figure this out so I will try and explain my situation.....

As im running normal speed and shifting there are no problems...but after about 10-15 mins of driving normal I will floor it and the boost is there, engine revs, boost gauge runs up like normal but the power is slow to put down on the wheels....
boost is there and revs up while mashing the throttle, but its really not hooking up to the wheels...the power slowly gets put down to the wheels..almost like its playing catch up to the boost...theres NO instant power to the ground like in 1st gear hooked up....
I'm trying to eplain it the best I can....

Would low tranny fluid cause this?
I have yet to lift up the car and take a look due to holidays and work...

Could this be a tranny issue? My gears are NOT grinding and there are no issues with shifting... Clutch is strong.... I did smell like a plasticy smell which Smells like a burning clutch earlier today hence I immediately came on here to ask yalls expertise on this issue.

I greatly appreciate any and all thoughts

Its like the engine puts the power down but its nit transferring to the wheels

THANKS!

04OWwhipple

Established Member
If you can put your foot down and watch the engine RPMs rev up but the vehicle doesn't accelerate like normal with the RPM climb then either your clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced. or you have an adjustable clutch it may just be time to adjust the cable.

Datman

Established Member
If you can put your foot down and watch the engine RPMs rev up but the vehicle doesn't accelerate like normal with the RPM climb then either your clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced. or you have an adjustable clutch it may just be time to adjust the cable.

Would it make a a noise? The clutch has about 30k miles on it.....no grind while shifting...
But yes, its doing exactly what you see with the RPMs

04OWwhipple

Established Member
Would it make a a noise? The clutch has about 30k miles on it.....no grind while shifting...
But yes, its doing exactly what you see with the RPMs

No, you will just hear the engine rev but the slipping clutch typically won't make any noise. A slipping clutch won't grind gears either because the pressure plate still works and it will still disengage the transmission. However when in gear and trying to apply power, the clutch disc itself is worn out and can't grip to hold the power like it should. That's what it sounds like you have going on to me anyway. What clutch is in the car?

Datman

Established Member
No, you will just hear the engine rev but the slipping clutch typically won't make any noise. A slipping clutch won't grind gears either because the pressure plate still works and it will still disengage the transmission. However when in gear and trying to apply power, the clutch disc itself is worn out and can't grip to hold the power like it should. That's what it sounds like you have going on to me anyway. What clutch is in the car?

Thanks for the quick response btw. I greatly appreciate it

04OWwhipple

Established Member
I have no idea lol....Im obviously new with these cobras

Here is an install video of installing an aftermarket clutch cable. It shows removal of the factory stuff and install on the adjustable stuff. You could use this as reference to look at your car to see if you have it or not.

04OWwhipple

Established Member
Come to think of it, have you tried grabbing to clutch pedal with your hand and pulling it up/back toward (toward you when sitting in the driver's seat)? The factory stuff has an auto adjust mechanism and that is how you automatically adjust the cable. If there is some adjustment in it then you usually hear and audible click/thunk when it adjusts. You could give that a try too to see if maybe the stock cable has just stretched and needs an "auto-adjust".

Datman

Established Member
Come to think of it, have you tried grabbing to clutch pedal with your hand and pulling it up/back toward (toward you when sitting in the driver's seat)? The factory stuff has an auto adjust mechanism and that is how you automatically adjust the cable. If there is some adjustment in it then you usually hear and audible click/thunk when it adjusts. You could give that a try too to see if maybe the stock cable has just stretched and needs an "auto-adjust".

I pulled it hard and it def made a thunk/click..I could feel it click forward(to the drivers seat)

Gonna jump in and take it for a rip and see if it made a difference....

***How much you think a new clutch, installed will cost.....and do you have any recommendations for a certain clutch...Im at 450ish to the wheels

Datman

Established Member

Well that didnt do anything...its progressively getting worse and the smell is def there when i got out of the car. I made a video but I dont know how to attach it on here...
I def slipping clutch....

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Well that didnt do anything...its progressively getting worse and the smell is def there when i got out of the car. I made a video but I dont know how to attach it on here...
I def slipping clutch....
Put it on YouTube then post the link. Sounds like the clutch is toast. I’d recommend McLeod products, a lot of us run them. If you want a bang for your buck with a stiff pedal spec 3’s do hold their own.

Datman

Established Member
Put it on YouTube then post the link. Sounds like the clutch is toast. I’d recommend McLeod products, a lot of us run them. If you want a bang for your buck with a stiff pedal spec 3’s do hold their own.

I have no clue how to do all of that lol

zredfire04

Established Member
when mine started slipping, i would be cruising in 6th gear, then apply throttle to accelerate for some reason (passing on the interstate, maybe) and the rpm would shoot up without corresponding acceleration.

budget for a new flywheel. the oem can sometimes be resurfaced once, but that's usually about it. i opted for a fidanza flywheel so i could replace the friction insert when the current new clutch wears out.

03' White Snake

Established Member
budget for a new flywheel. the oem can sometimes be resurfaced once, but that's usually about it. i opted for a fidanza flywheel so i could replace the friction insert when the current new clutch wears out.

MCLEOD makes the OEM flywheel. For around $100 you can ship it to them and they will replace the friction surface. Makes it nearly a brand new piece. I've done this twice with mine. Call them, explain you want a new friction surface, they give you a RMA # and you ship it to them. About 2 week turn around.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I’d imagine if your car is mostly stock it still has the 10 spline input shaft so don’t buy the 26 spline unless you know. That clutch in a 10 spline should work, but you’re almost pushing the limits. Always better to have a clutch you can grow into. I just toasted a “800hp” rated clutch with 700hp so be careful about that.

Datman

Established Member
I’d imagine if your car is mostly stock it still has the 10 spline input shaft so don’t buy the 26 spline unless you know. That clutch in a 10 spline should work, but you’re almost pushing the limits. Always better to have a clutch you can grow into. I just toasted a “800hp” rated clutch with 700hp so be careful about that.
which one do you suggest....have about 450 to the wheels

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
which one do you suggest....have about 450 to the wheels
Do you have a budget in mind? Planning on more power in the future, or just getting it back on the road? Buy the best clutch you can so you don’t have to do it again. But that comes down to what you want to spend.
Consider this too, for the past 3 years lethal performance has done 20% of sale on mcleod products and every December. So if you can wait for that I would.
Also if you can afford the rst, it can be rebuilt into an rxt for $500 which is the price difference between the two. But you can do it years down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread