I thought my clutch was shot, now I am not so sure...

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
Fellas
I picked up an 03 Cobra as my new project car as seen here -->http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/825328-new-me-03-cobra.html
So when I drive the car very calm like and When I accelerate through the RPM's steadily but not like I am at the strip everything is fine. Engine sounds health feels good and responds like a cobra should. However, When I do punch it to WOT The engine seems to accelerate as she should but the car shakes extremely bad (coming from the transmission or forward). I thought it was a bad clutch but after some homework all the cases I found where that the clutch just stops catching under load.

edit: it has a Spec stage 3 clutch and the factory 10 spline

Does anyone have any advise for me? Clutch? Is the engine missing under load?

-Jake

Last edited:

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
Check for a loose transmission or motor mount? ...who did the clutch install? Was the flywheel resurfaced??

I'll check I am open to any ideas. It doesnt seem like it would be a mount to me tho.

The original owner did all the work on the clutch I might pull the tranny anyway and add a 26 spline and twin disk

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I'll check I am open to any ideas. It doesnt seem like it would be a mount to me tho.

The original owner did all the work on the clutch I might pull the tranny anyway and add a 26 spline and twin disk

How much power does the car make? A twin disk may not be right for your application.

Agree to check all mounts. So this issue only happens on a wot pull? what about a progressive throttle application from 1/2 throttle progressing to 3/4-wot up a hill. When does the vibration start to happen? Is it rpm related? Is it gear related? Only happens in 1st, 2nd, 3rd but maybe not 4th?

Last edited:

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
Tim. I am about to take the car out. I will try and get as specific as I possibly can

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
How much power does the car make? A twin disk may not be right for your application.

Agree to check all mounts. So this issue only happens on a wot pull? what about a progressive throttle application from 1/2 throttle progressing to 3/4-wot up a hill. When does the vibration start to happen? Is it rpm related? Is it gear related? Only happens in 1st, 2nd, 3rd but maybe not 4th?

Car makes just under 500rwhp. It is not the clutch for sure, I put the car in 4th at a roll and she just powered right through it.

It is more of a miss than a shake. You can hear it in the second video. It does not seem to be RPM related but load related. I notice it in every gear that I try to put the pedal to the floor

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Hum very crazy sound. You can check all the plugs and coils. It kinda sounds like a miss. I also wonder if it could have something to do with the bypass valve on the blower.
Is the blower belt tight?

As far as clutch goes. You don't need a twin disk for your power. If your looking for a light pedal then contact ProMotion powertrain. They'll set you up with the right clutch.

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
I was thinking about pulln' em out Might as well replace them while I am there. The PO said he had NGK 6 series in. I think I will go with the TR7IX's
I have the tread pulled up about the boost bypass. I am going to look at it and see if it is set up correctly. Belt is brand new and very tight.
It isn't the clutch so I will leave it be for now. But that stage 3 is STIFF!!!

Last edited:

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I was thinking about pulln' em out Might as well replace them while I am there. The PO said he had NGK 6 series in. I think I will go with the TR7IX's
I have the tread pulled up about the boost bypass. I am going to look at it and see if it is set up correctly. Belt is brand new and very tight.
It isn't the clutch so I will leave it be for now. But that stage 3 is STIFF!!!

What are you going to gap the plugs at? Sounds good bud. Report back with your findings.

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
Looks like quite a few people on SVTP w/ Pulley'd eatons went with the .035 gap from NGK and others went w/ .032 I think I will try on .035 and see how she feels

Anabolic

Banned
that';s definatly NOT a slipping clutch.. supercharger IS producing boost. sounds like a mechanical issue, lets hope it;s something small like the plugs >.<

how does it idle?

something;s wrong wit hyour 11.2 fuel ratio too

Last edited:

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
I dont trust too much of the current build. I am going to replace the plugs and inspect the COP's. Idle isn't perfect like it drove off the assembly line but it is by no means bad. Seems to fluctuate just a tad bit maybe +/- 100 rpm's

The AFR is usually in the mid 14's
I am trying to find a good dyno near me. I'm not finding much tho. Anyone know any near Nashville, TN?

rickrubin2

Established Member
I had some similar isuses before and turned out to be a bad maf and then the idle air control went bad replaced them and has ran fine for like 3k miles then it also had an intake leak

stolher

Live Free
Established Member
I had some similar isuses before and turned out to be a bad maf and then the idle air control went bad replaced them and has ran fine for like 3k miles then it also had an intake leak

Did you throw a CEL?

Blueline

Established Member
I was watching your AFR while you were getting on it. I saw it anywhere from 11.9 up to 12.2 I believe while you were under heavy load. I would check the plugs and coils packs, NOT boost it anymore and get her on a dyno to get that tune checked. You stated in your original thread the ahndheld had three tunes on it. What are they for, maybe you can try another one with the proper octane, if it calls for it, and see if theres a difference. I would def. not be getting on her anymore till you figure out or at least get the tune checked out.

Users who are viewing this thread