I want a lower...what do i need?

Black03COBRA

I think my next mod i want to do is a lower pulley swap.

i currently have a 2.77 upper and the billtet flow idler set up.

i want to run the 4 pound lower with this upper? is that possible or do i need a bigger upper?

also i was wondering if im going to need to change the alternator pulley?

or is there another way to do this?

thanks

black0three

Silver 03 Cobra

Order a Metco 4 pound lower from JDM. I just installed mine Thursday. You would be better off with a 2.93 pulley on top to reduce belt slippage. I went ahead and pulley my 2.80 and installed my 2.93. With the 2.80 upper I was hitting 17 psi and then dropping back to 15. I now hold 15-16 psi through to nearly redline before it drops slightly.

My buddy runs a six pound lower and a six pound upper and he has the stock alternator pulley. I'm sure it may wear out the alternator prematurely. I'm not too concerned about it right now.

Black03COBRA

thanks a lot man..

i think im going to order the interchangeable set so i can swap in the 4 or 6 lb lower.

remember when u swapped out the stock pulley with a smaller upper and felt that sudden rush of power increase fromt stock? do u get that again with a lower compared to having a upper as well?

thanks again....

PS- is it easily installed? or shoud i say as easy as an upper or easier or harder? never did a lwoer b4

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
There was no where near that same sotp feel. Although my tune isn't quite right yet so that'll help when thats dialed in. To be honest, I probably wouldn't do the lower again. This frickin Mustang shop in town did it for me and charged me 4 hrs!!! So with the part and labor it was 800 bucks. I may change my mind when the tune gets dialed in, but right now I'd say it's a waste of money!

Silver 03 Cobra

I disagree with the SOTP's unless you put a lot of mods on with the first pulley. I picked up 50 rwt so that's quite a bit at the crank. I gained a considerable more yeehaw factor at least for awhile.

Sambandit, I've done two lowers. The first one took about 5 hours on my buddies 03. That was in about 30 degree weather with snow coming down. JLP told Mark it would only take one hour. I knew when I opened the box that was BS. My fingers were dead when I got through. I bet JLP would have charged Mark four hours if they did the install. I bought mine from JDM and one of the pictures was missing. It was the one showing the new parts for the lower. It slowed me a little but I was lucky enough to have done one install already. I did it in under three hours. It's not as easy as some say it is especially laying on your back.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> sambandit: ...Mustang shop in town did it for me and charged me...800 bucks.

And therein lies the source of discontent...
You should have rounded up a couple of local '03 boys and installed it yourself =>)
Would have been that that much more gratifying...

Users who are viewing this thread