I want to be a SVT male model/paging fitness & expert nutritionists

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Yes another fitness and eating thread sorry bout it lol. However, I could use a critique or
some input on where to fine tune my macros for my goals. I'll try to make this short. Myself, stats 5'8, 200lbs, about 18% fat, 33yrs old. Have solid experience in the weight room from my early 20's. Goal is to lean out without losing a single pound of muscle, maybe building more through this journey. Been at a month now and went from a 36 pant size to 34. Arms, chest, shoulders look larger, etc..

Train 5 days a week with free weights. Mon: back & biceps, Tues: Chest & Tri, Wed: Shoulder & traps, Thurs: Legs...etc. Flat bench, Dumbbell press, Squats, barbell back rows...etc..etc. I don't believe my weight training is a problem.

Cardio is HIIT sprints with a heart rate monitor on the treadmill cuz TX outside heat will kill you lol. Warm up on the treadmill for 3 min and sprint for 1 minute then rest for 2 or so. Repeat until 25-30min is reached. Heart rate hits 170bpm during sprint then back down to 130bpm or so after sprint is complete.

Now the eating schedule. Reduced carbs to about 80 grams so my body will look as fat for fuel.

Meal 1: 4:30am, protein shake with lowfat milk. 45grams of protein, 30grams of carbs mostly from the milk, 5grams of fat.

Meal 2: 9am, 5 large boiled eggs with 1 avocado. 30-40grams protein, fat 21gram, carbs 12grams

Meal 3: 1150am, Large serving of either beef, chicken or fish and steamed broccoli. 50-60 grams protein, fat maybe 20 gram, carbs less than 5.

Meal 4: 3:00pm, protein shake again, same as above, 45gram protein

4:15pm, Weight train then sprints after.

Meal 5: 7:00pm, Large serving of either beef, chicken or fish and steamed broccoli. 50-60 grams protein, fat maybe 20 gram, carbs less than 5.

Drinking about 1.5 gallons of water a day, no sodas or sugar. No alcohol during the week. I've had some success so far but don't mind some input to excel further.

01Jes

Established Member
What the heck happen to all the SVTP models here man lol.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Your current routine looks pretty spot on. The main thing you need to worry about is consistency. If you are following that routine consistently you will see results. The only thing I would change is the Monday through Friday thing, I would add some light lifting/stretching and cardio on the rest days.

Roosh725

Established Member
Might want to try taking some carbs away in the morning, and adding them quickly post workout. Your body is a sponge for protein and carbs post workout

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
From personal experience, your lifting routine IS a problem. You should be crushing legs as hard as you can on Mondays and Fridays (ATLEAST twice a day). Strong legs and everything else will follow.

Legs are the foundation and building block to any strong physique and will do a ton to help with your core, overall strength, and metabolism. A little cardio like running 1 mile after every lift Monday through Friday will definitely help get that lactic acid flowing out of muscle groups.

I could go on for days about this but just remember eating is a bigger part of how you look than the actual workout itself. Eat constantly, Eat lean, Work HARD and you'll start to change. I'm not the biggest dude @ 5"10" 182-185lbs but I can lift a lot more than most guys in the low 200's. Muscle density/efficiency > Size.

Also, look at what other guys (who want to begin to look like aesthetically) are doing in the gym and do what they do. Everyones body will react differently to workouts but off the bat I'd suggest sticking to a 5 sets of 10 regime for the first 3 primary workouts (squats, deadlift, leg press, etc) of a lift day and then switch over to a 4x12 for your supporting lifts (ham. curls, leg extension, etc.).

Best of luck.

01Jes

Established Member
Duly noted advice from eveyone. I'll start concentrating harder on legs. Although, after a strenuous Leg day shouldn't you rest that muscle for 72hrs before hitting it hard again? I was a trainer from Coopers institute 12yrs ago but so much has changed from that time frame so I'm all ears. I'm not so much concerned with strength but more so a sysmetrical, vascular with moderate mass frame.

Was trying to stray away from steady cardio as I've read it's possible to lower natural testosterone.

A muscle head at the vitamin store stated, hit the protein shake with carbs pre-workout so that I wouldn't gas out during training. It seemed to work. Thanks for the input so far.

Last edited:

hb712

Established Member
From personal experience, your lifting routine IS a problem. You should be crushing legs as hard as you can on Mondays and Fridays (ATLEAST twice a day). Strong legs and everything else will follow.

Legs are the foundation and building block to any strong physique and will do a ton to help with your core, overall strength, and metabolism. A little cardio like running 1 mile after every lift Monday through Friday will definitely help get that lactic acid flowing out of muscle groups.

I could go on for days about this but just remember eating is a bigger part of how you look than the actual workout itself. Eat constantly, Eat lean, Work HARD and you'll start to change. I'm not the biggest dude @ 5"10" 182-185lbs but I can lift a lot more than most guys in the low 200's. Muscle density/efficiency > Size.

Also, look at what other guys (who want to begin to look like aesthetically) are doing in the gym and do what they do. Everyones body will react differently to workouts but off the bat I'd suggest sticking to a 5 sets of 10 regime for the first 3 primary workouts (squats, deadlift, leg press, etc) of a lift day and then switch over to a 4x12 for your supporting lifts (ham. curls, leg extension, etc.).

Best of luck.
Unless you like injuries, don't train legs twice a day, twice a week. Major muscle groups do not ever need that type of training. Beyond that, your associated ligaments, tendons, etc... will hate you and you will very likely pay for that type of routine. Hell, you can even end up with lots of stress fractures doing things like that.

Running is some of the worst cardio possible for maintaining muscle mass while losing fat. You want to look into cycling as it mimics some of the complex movements (e.g., squats) and has a much smaller impact on muscle mass. The best cardio I have ever seen studies on is sprints. Hill sprints are even better than flat.

I also avoid doing what everyone else at the gym does. Why? They're usually doing some moronic, misguided split, doing the exercises wrong, etc.... Find what works for you and do it.

Don't mean to be contrary, but that post is a little out there in some respects.

To address the OP:

You likely won't enter ketosis (your body utilizing fat as its primary fuel source) on 80g carbs. Work on getting in about .8g of protein per pound of body weight, eat clean foods like you are, and forget the rest. Yes, this absolutely works for cutting and maintaining muscle mass. You also need to hit a deficit for the best results, but you will lose some muscle. That's really the only way to get shredded in any reasonable time.

Regarding your workouts, I like to do pushing and pulling every day. That's not necessarily going to be more effective than what you're doing, but it is a more traditional approach. For example, I would do chest/back on the same day rather than two pulling muscle groups in back/bis. This isn't something you have to change, just something I suggest looking in to. For cardio, I think you're good. Try doing hill sprints (10%+ incline on the treadmill) to really hit those legs and minimize muscle loss. I'd look to no more than 30-40 seconds of sprinting followed by walking for 2 minutes. Start off with 5-6 sets of that and see how you feel.

I've noted my background in several threads, but this info is based on coaching competitive weight lifters and competing at an elite level myself.

Good luck! I hope some of this info helps you, and I'm more than happy to answer any questions.

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
CORRECTION: TWICE PER WEEK.

Long story short. Lift right and lift hard.

Don't walk around scared to push yourself to where it begins to burn and feel the pain "good pain". You'll never get where you want to be if you walk around too scared to push yourself beyond your comfort zone.

ttk53

Established Member
It doesnt happen over night.

Either stick with what you are doing and resualts will come or enter the chemically enhanced world.

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
[video=youtube;5NP7YodXpTM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NP7YodXpTM[/video]

As vulgar as he may be, his heads in the right place. #CTFletcher

VegasMichael

Established Member
Does anybody still do the old 20 rep squat routine anymore? We used it way back in the day and it was so intense it would leave us exhausted for a couple days. In a nutshell: You had one exercise for each body part(2-3 sets) with the squat as the foundation of the program. For the barbell squat, you chose a weight you could barely eek out 10 reps with, but guess what? You were only half done. You would stand there with the bar, take some breaths and do another rep. Rinse and repeat until you got to 20. Even if you had to rest 45-60 seconds between reps before you felt strong enough for another rep you did so. Frequently if you did the squat early in your program for the day you were too exhausted to do the rest of the routine. But we really added size and definition with that exercise; however, it was not something you would do for more than a month or two.

hb712

Established Member
Does anybody still do the old 20 rep squat routine anymore? We used it way back in the day and it was so intense it would leave us exhausted for a couple days. In a nutshell: You had one exercise for each body part(2-3 sets) with the squat as the foundation of the program. For the barbell squat, you chose a weight you could barely eek out 10 reps with, but guess what? You were only half done. You would stand there with the bar, take some breaths and do another rep. Rinse and repeat until you got to 20. Even if you had to rest 45-60 seconds between reps before you felt strong enough for another rep you did so. Frequently if you did the squat early in your program for the day you were too exhausted to do the rest of the routine. But we really added size and definition with that exercise; however, it was not something you would do for more than a month or two.

Arnold liked to do things like that, and still has some elements of it in his Blueprint programs. I don't use that personally, but see no reason not to use it as a "shocker" in your program.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
OP I find it hard to believe you are even in ketosis with 80g carb. Cut the milk and swicth to almond milk if you need to. You can even add heavy whipping cream and stevia to almond milk to make it more like real milk. Keep carbs at a MAX of 40g/day, even that may be too much. It doesn't look like you are getting enough fat either. If you arent eating enough fat in keto you are not going to get the results you want. Coconut oil is a MUST on keto IMO. You should be aiming for 70% calories from fat, 25% from protein, and carbs <40g. I actually just started doing keto again on Monday and I eat less than 5-10g of carbs the first week or two, then slowly work my way to a 30g daily max. You also need to spread the carbs throughout the day. Having 30g in one sitting will surely spike your insulin and probably kick you out of keto.

Allot of people will sacrifice their health in order to look better, which is completely ass backwards. Working out too much or creating a diet/workout plan that isn't sustainable isn't something you should be doing. The second you reach your goals and lift off the gas, your body will go back to the way it was. Keeping the weight off after you are done with keto is extremely difficult for most people. Just take it slow, and make changes in your life that will last.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Arnold liked to do things like that, and still has some elements of it in his Blueprint programs. I don't use that personally, but see no reason not to use it as a "shocker" in your program.

Interesting. We first saw it in an ancient edition of Powerlifting USA. Used to love that magazine.

hb712

Established Member
Interesting. We first saw it in an ancient edition of Powerlifting USA. Used to love that magazine.

I'll have to look and see if I can find it in an old issue. I have stacks and stacks of Pwerlifting USA that my dad gave me.

Arnold's version is known as "rest pause" training. Basically you do your set, rest 10-12 seconds then do more. Then, when that's done, you keep doing the mini-sets 3-4 more times.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I'll have to look and see if I can find it in an old issue. I have stacks and stacks of Pwerlifting USA that my dad gave me.

Arnold's version is known as "rest pause" training. Basically you do your set, rest 10-12 seconds then do more. Then, when that's done, you keep doing the mini-sets 3-4 more times.

I did a search and it seems to have been started by John McCallum in 1968 and written in the book Super Squats by Randall J. Strossen, PH.D. My guess is Powerlifting USA probably took an excerpt from the book or from an interview with McCallum.

G04cobra

Established Member
OP, I'm no professional but when you train do you sit there until you are fully rested in between sets? Have you tried super sets to keep your heart rate elevated while you lift? Super sets worked wonders for me. I also agree with cutting carbs in the morning, that protein shake sounds more like a post-work out type of shake.

01Jes

Established Member
It doesnt happen over night.

Either stick with what you are doing and resualts will come or enter the chemically enhanced world.
Lol funny you say that. 10yrs ago I was in phenomenal shape with the help of test cyp, sustanon, d-Bol, winstrol, reforbit, equipoise, homemade Tren that I made myself from a fina farm kit. Obviously not all cycled at the same time. Let's not forget your PCT such as clomid, novladex, hcg, and sometimes would use arimidex during engaged mode to avoid gyno. Can't do that no more bud, those days are over for me. If I start, it will be a never ending process without moderation. I already know myself.

hb712 appreciate the advice and critique. Your post was very informative and it does help me. So having 80grams of carbs will fuel my weight training and sprints entirely? You don't think I'll dip into the fats for fuel during the sprints after the weights? 04svt_cobra my goal wasn't to go into keto because once I hit the gym my intensity level is horrible. Anything below 50 carbs and my weight training intensity suffers drastically. This was once a hobby long time ago, so far enjoying it and plan to stick with it.

To the last poster yes I do super set sometimes. I wear the heart rate monitor during weight training as well. I've hit 150-160bpm hitting the iron. Then it comes down to 105-110bpm then repeat.

Supplements I'm using right now are, ephedrine/caffeine/Asprin in the morning around 5am.

Pre workout is Hyde & Noxivol and creatine from beast.

Thanks for all the input fellas. Going to sub this thread and update in 3 months. Good advice here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread