I will be lurking in here for a while now! Whipple question to start:

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
So, I have decided to take a step back from my Vortech intercooled project and go back to what I wanted to do to begin with.

I am going to take some bare 04 heads, apply my 96 valvetrain to them and top them off with a 2.3 Whipple.

I guess my main question is, what kind of power does a stock head 03/04 make with full exhaust and 15/16 psi?

I have a goal of 625 rwhp, but I am not as concerned with a number as I am wanting to max out all my options at 15/16 psi. That includes porting the heads, throttle body, different headers (which I think I may need with the 04 heads anway)

For those that may read this and not read my sig, I do have a dry sleeve, built Modular Performance big bore based off my original 96 block that will be the starting point for my project.

By the way, for anyone running a 2.3 whipple; is there any difference in size of the outer casing? I have seen 96-98 guys with Terminator swaps using the stock hood, but I am wondering if I will have to alter the front suspension to squeeze a Whipple under the stock hood.

Let the info begin!

Black Sex

Established Member
I have a 2.3 Whipple making 16psi. I have stock manifolds, UPR o/r xpipe, Borla catback (non-stinger). Stock heads, stock TB that I ported. On 91 oct on a Dynojet I made 569/517 in a 94* shop with 78% humidity.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
So can you, or anyone else, verify if the Whipple is actualy bigger in height than the stock Eaton? I am sure many people know this since it's kind of a newb question....

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
It sits taller than the Eaton...I think by 1.5" inches.

GodStang

Established Member
Yes its taller than the stock eaton. There are a few ways to drop the motor. 15/16psi on your setup will be about equal to 20-22psi on one of our stock setups. Yes you will need new headers when swapping between any 4V heads and Cobra heads. I think 625 on your setup should be easy to hit. You will enjoy the Whipple a whole lot more than the Centri blower.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
uhh yea you should be very very close to 650rwhp with a whipple at 15psi. Most guys sit around 550-575 depending on timing, then add in your compression, 306BB, 96-98 Cobra cams degreed properly you should have no problem, but as a suggestion while you are there with the heads upgrade the valve train or atleast the valve guides, springs, retainers ect..

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
you gonna run a whole eaton swap for this i assume?

and a +1 on you enjoying this over the centri! my kenne bell and my old procharger are night and day.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
uhh yea you should be very very close to 650rwhp with a whipple at 15psi. Most guys sit around 550-575 depending on timing, then add in your compression, 306BB, 96-98 Cobra cams degreed properly you should have no problem, but as a suggestion while you are there with the heads upgrade the valve train or atleast the valve guides, springs, retainers ect..

I think the valve guides may be upgraded on my 96 heads, but I don't know if that is transferable. I know the springs are Comp springs. I am going to ship my heads and the 04 heads to Modular Performance and let him do some work to the heads and put them together.

I'll probaly check into shipping and possibly send the whole engine if it's comparable. I know the shipping for just the engine was $450 frieght. I am guessing that two sets of heads via UPS or Fed-Ex isn't going to be cheap.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
yea probably not to cheap but that's your best bet.. I've been contemplating a 3.4 whipple swap on my car, but for what I'm trying to do with it it wouldn't be a good idea lol. The only upgrade for me is TT and that's about it.. BTW where the heck is Modular Performance out of, I've been trying to figure that out..

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
yea probably not to cheap but that's your best bet.. I've been contemplating a 3.4 whipple swap on my car, but for what I'm trying to do with it it wouldn't be a good idea lol. The only upgrade for me is TT and that's about it.. BTW where the heck is Modular Performance out of, I've been trying to figure that out..

I was going through some of my C head and Whipple threads and just noticed I never responded to your question.

http://idsserver.net/modularperformance/index.php/

He is out of Wixom, MI. John in basicaly unreal and everything I have heard about him and have seen personaly is nothing but quality. I do know he is one of the guys who did some of the R&D on the modular engines when they were 1st being tested for different applications. I am not surehow long he was on for once they were in the Mustangs, but to say he knows his stuff is an understatement.

I rarely see him advertising (I think I have seen one ad on here) but I know he has had to have recieved a TON of business from customer references. I am sure you know of NAZ from this site...

Users who are viewing this thread