IAC tips?

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I've narrowed my sporadic idle stalling issue down to either spontaneous over fueling, or the IAC periodically dropping out. It will be idling perfectly steady, then suddenly drop to <400RPM or die. Opening the throttle (i.e. adding air) a little will save it. Reported IACDC is steady, and the wiring seems to be good. Has anyone encountered that kind of symptom?

I've checked resistance, visually inspected it and cleaned it. It appears the plunger moves freely and there was only some light carbon buildup.

Is there any other way to test the IAC or bench test it? Or anything to look closer at?

And for ordering a new one, any preferred sources?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've never tested one personally. As for ordering them I usually go through Amazon. But I'm a prime member.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Are you sure your ac or electric fan isn't kicking in?

AC is deleted. Only occurs well below fan on temperatures. Oddly enough it's a completely spontaneous stall 90+ seconds after cold start and before it's warmed up, <150 deg F ECT. It is not related to any spark or fuel source change. There's no warning, even reading the logs things (RPM, voltage, fuel pressure, AFR, Inj PW, MAF counts, etc...) will be completely stable for 20 seconds or so and it will just drop RPM and often stall like someone unplugged the IAC. If you crack open the throttle fast enough it will save it.

I would only replace with FoMoCo if possible.

I went with the Hitachi, which is the OEM one. Autozone is the same price as Rock Auto w/shipping, and will have it in one day.

Users who are viewing this thread