IAC trouble shoot

StreetSnake

Established Member
Anybody know of a sure way to tell if your IAC ( Idle adjustment Control) has taken a shit. My idle is fluctuating from 550-1200 rpms sometimes hanging at the upper level (1200 RPMs) Car is stock the FIPK has not been overoiled. I have tried reprogramming ( Disconnect the battery ) Plugs only have 5000 miles on them. I dont know why they would have anything to do with it anyways. These are ideas that were brought up on a previous post I made and I appreciate the input but none of it panned out for me so Im asking again and hoping somebody else might have some ideas. Thanks:beer::beer:

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Any check engine light? Try removing the IAC and cleaning it out. You might be surprised to see what comes out of there. Also clean out your MAF with some Mass-air cleaner. Otherwise I'd suggest finding someone localy and try swaping an IAC that you know is good.
Hope this helps man!

MustangThief

Established Member
As far as I know, you should be able to tell if the motor is going bad by doing the following:

Let's say your idle is hanging at 1300RPM.

Disconnect the plug for the IAC, you idle will drop severely, plug it right back in, and your idle should level out.

If this happens, your IAC may be going bad internally and cleaning it may do no good.

This is how I do it, not sure of any other methods.

StreetSnake

Established Member
Thanks guys I appreciate your input. I did take the Iac off yesterday and it was kind of crudy. Cleaned what I could as best as I could and didnt seem to help. Today I came home and hooked up the diagnostic handset and I had a code PO174 with a reading, System to lean bank 2, keep in mind there was no check engine light on. Im still stumped but I will try some of the other things you suggested. Thanks again:beer::beer:

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Do you have your rear 02's turned off, or mil-eliminators? Thats probably why your showing that code.

Try the MAF cleaner, and keep your battery unhooked for a little while. then reinstall everything and see what it does.

StreetSnake

Established Member
Do you have your rear 02's turned off, or mil-eliminators? Thats probably why your showing that code.

Try the MAF cleaner, and keep your battery unhooked for a little while. then reinstall everything and see what it does.

Thanks wicked I'll give that a shot tomorrow. BTW I dont have MIL eliminators and The O2 sensors are all intact.
I did try what Mustang thief said and it did pretty much what he said it would, I'll also get a price on that baby Tomorrow bet it aint cheap Thanks again.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread