IAT at 230F - Are you kidding me!

bFoxGt500

Established Member
So I posted earlier about fans on HE not coming on and serious heat soak at open track. Pump worked only intermittent. I just installed an Aeroforce Interceptor to get data on IAT. After 15 minutes of easy city drive, IAT was reading 230F. Checked pump and it was not running. In fact, I could see an air bubble in reservoir, but I believe the air is a result and not the cause. 230F IAT can not be good. What is normal? I've got a new HE pump on order - do you think this will fix this heat problem or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks.

lsp408

Established Member
pretty sure if the pump is bad, replace it will solve your issue. be sure to get all the air bubble out. I ran into issue with air bubble got trape upper part of heat exchanger. I ran pump and can see flow in the reservor. couple hours later start the car and pump came on but no flow. eventually i borrow my friends supersucker and create vacuum at the reservor and got all the air out.

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
I had the same issue with IAT2 over 200. The problem was a combination of my alternator going bad and the pump going bad.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
There's a relay in the fuse box that controls the pump and probably the HE fans if they're hooked up through the pump circuit like most are. If they are hooked to he same circuit, even if the pump was bad, the fans would still kick on. Because neither are coming on, my bet is that the relay is shot.
Not sure what year your car is, but if its 10+ it's a mini relay closest to the fender. I forget the number, but there are 4 of them. 1 is the AC, 1 is the intercoooler pump and 2 are for the fuel pumps. You can pull the AC one and swap it with the intercooler pump relay to see if the relay is your problem.

You should NOT drive the car until you fix the problem though. You can cause more serious problems by running the car hard without the intercooler pump running. Even on sweltering days and after serious whopping, the IAT2's should never reach 230* and certainly shouldn't remain that high for extended lengths of time.

Last edited:

APMECH

Established Member
I agree with PistolWhip. Another area to look at is where the H/E fan relays are connected to the pump "trigger" wire (pump power lead), and the fan relays too while you're at it, to make sure everything's ok.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
Thanks guys. The problem first appeared at the track (road track). Fans never cam on and pump was intermittent. Re-wired fans and they come on with key on. Replaced pump relay with jumper so it is supposed to come on with key on. It did it for a while but never at a high rate. Yesterday, pump never came on. The bad alternator is not something I've thought of, I assume the pump runs off a straight 12v. Thanks also for the IAT2 tip - I am new the the aeroforce but installed it specfically to check IAT, now I'll make sure I read IAT2. We will see - wish me luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread