IAT Sensor

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
Im wondering how you all installed your IAT sensor in your intake tubes? Did you use your stock ones or buy another screw in type or what. Any info helps thanks

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
IAT2 is in the lower intake, post-blower on a factory car. IAT is pre-blower. My understanding is that IAT should be before the turbo, before the air is heated up, and then IAT2 should be after the intercooler, as close to the intake valves as possible (Usually tapped into the intake manifold from what I've seen.... that's what I'm doing with mine).

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
IAT needs to be before the turbo. You can actually just connect it and mount it in the fender somewhere is fine. The IAT2 is what you need to be concerned about. That needs to be mounted in the intake manifold. Its the sensor that was bolted to the base of the factory blower.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
agreed, IAT is pre compressor, IAT2 is after. however, on my 01 where you only have one IAT from the factory i did relocate it to the pressure side(post turbo). i cut a hole in the piping and welded in a fitting to accept 3/8" NPT. then got a lightning sensor and threaded right in. looks identical to factory except it threads in(3/8 npt) instead of push in and uses the exact same wire clip so no rewiring needs to be done!

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
agreed, IAT is pre compressor, IAT2 is after. however, on my 01 where you only have one IAT from the factory i did relocate it to the pressure side(post turbo). i cut a hole in the piping and welded in a fitting to accept 3/8" NPT. then got a lightning sensor and threaded right in. looks identical to factory except it threads in(3/8 npt) instead of push in and uses the exact same wire clip so no rewiring needs to be done!

You are correct. This is what I do on pre Terminator cars with boost. Lightning IAT sensor in the boost pipe and it works perfect because its threaded.

Here is a pic of my IAT2 sensor plcement.

Intake2.JPG

Sharkster

Established Member
You are correct. This is what I do on pre Terminator cars with boost. Lightning IAT sensor in the boost pipe and it works perfect because its threaded.

Here is a pic of my IAT2 sensor plcement.

Intake2.JPG
This is exactly what I did with mine. Same spot and all

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
when purchasing the lighting iat do you have to buy the pigtail harness also? Were did you all put your map sensor also

You do not need the lightning IAT. That is only for Pre terminator cars. You need to get the factory IAT2 sensor that is in the pic I posted.

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
im using the sullivan, is there another name for the iat2 sensor. I went to the parts store and they could only find the manifold aboslute pressure sensor. What about the map sensor, were did you all mount it at and did you just spice a different connector on it or what

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
parts stores probably refer to the IAT2 as a MAP sensor. i'm pretty sure the IAT2 reads more than just temperature, and map sensor is a more common term used on other vehicles as well.

edit: yup just checked an o'reillys shows a MAP sensor for 03/04 cobras, which is the IAT2 we're all referring to

Last edited:

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
your better off getting the HPX PMAS 05+ sensor. It has an IAT sensor built in.

yeah thats what i heard, i already got the slot style BA5000 though. okay so ill order that from olreilys. What about hte map sensor on these cars. I know the stock on is on the blower but were do you place them now.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
The MAP sensor IS the IAT2 sensor.

Its all in one. Remember your first post about the MAP sensor and I told you it is more than just a map sensor and you would need to leave it wired in even if you did run a GM 3 bar sensor?

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
The MAP sensor IS the IAT2 sensor.

Its all in one. Remember your first post about the MAP sensor and I told you it is more than just a map sensor and you would need to leave it wired in even if you did run a GM 3 bar sensor?

the 3gm bar map sensor was just for my ams1000 to data log boost levels going down the track. So i need to order one of these and put it in the upper intake and should have a sensor plug that fits right to this and call it a day. Sorry guys i dont know much about this and am trying to learn this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread